RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Gas station air/water station water safe?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gas station air/water station water safe?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Jwpup wrote:

I live in Southern California and all of the gas stations have air/water stations . The gas station attendant said the water should be potable because it’s just straight from the city water, but I think the black retractable water hose is suspect. I think it’s meant to fill up radiator water and not intended as drinking water. Does anyone know if it’s safe to put in your RV and use as drinking water? Does it taste terrible? Does it take any longer to fill? The spout is smaller than that of a hose bib.

I cannot think of a water hose that did not come from a potable source. It is the proximity to a source that can cross contaminate the water that differentiates the use. So unless it states potable I would assume it does not comply with that jurisdictions requirements to qualify.

Meanwhile while the water is on its way from treatment plant to hose no matter its proximity to the source its traveling through miles of these LOL.

[image]

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, GDS, Los Angeles water pipes are much older.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

I would never believe a gas station attendant, as to the water quality.
Having worked in gas stations, I personally would not use their for for drinking purposes. And I'm not a water snob.
Home water, Yes. Gas station water, NO. Unless they have a water source that's identified as potable. Like at large truck stops.

Totally agree!!! why risk health, contamination issues? Use 1 gallon water from markets or stores until you get to an RV park. I fill my fresh water tank 3/4 full when I leave for a trip.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

mich800 wrote:

Jwpup wrote:

I live in Southern California and all of the gas stations have air/water stations . The gas station attendant said the water should be potable because it’s just straight from the city water, but I think the black retractable water hose is suspect. I think it’s meant to fill up radiator water and not intended as drinking water. Does anyone know if it’s safe to put in your RV and use as drinking water? Does it taste terrible? Does it take any longer to fill? The spout is smaller than that of a hose bib.

I cannot think of a water hose that did not come from a potable source. It is the proximity to a source that can cross contaminate the water that differentiates the use. So unless it states potable I would assume it does not comply with that jurisdictions requirements to qualify.

Meanwhile while the water is on its way from treatment plant to hose no matter its proximity to the source its traveling through miles of these LOL. A

[image]

No kidding. In Southern Calif almost every water supply comes from std source which has sufficient chlorine/chloramine to kill bacteria ... but as the picture implies that doesn't mean your not going to get a full supply of mineral supplements. And that applies almost everywhere including your home.

Kevin

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So where else would the gas station be getting water, other than a municipal water supply?

I would use the water but just run it a bit to flush out what's been standing in the hose and immediate supply line.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And some people pay $$$$ for bottle water.

When we lived on the farm and first got running water in the house vs draw from a well and walking to the outhouse, many people said you should not drink the water from the bathroom sink faucet.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water from the service station should be fine. Where that hose has been is another question. I would far prefer to locate a hose bib on the side of the building. Or swap your fresh water hose onto the water fitting of the service hose.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Attack a portable filter to it and you will be good.

jthrv

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never drank water out of a rv tank. I drink from $1 per gallon water bottles from grocery stores - about a half a gallon a day. I have been at so many campgrounds with signs not to drink the water I don't trust any of them. At the same campground, some visits there is a don't drink sign, other times not. What about if after I leave, they discover the water is bad, it could have been bad while I was there.

Compared to the other costs of using a rv, fifty cents a day for drinking water is a luxury I can well afford.

* This post was edited 10/18/20 08:20am by jthrv *

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have no problem filling from a gas station water faucet that is "city water". But.......... as others have said, I would use my own hose.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gas station air/water station water safe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.