|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone very informative. That $500 price tag of the 2000w converter might have changed my mind. That about the expected price for a higher quality inverter of that size? I realize i need to research but the people here are so familiar with everything it really helps to speed up the process.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about $500... best to stick with the 400w.

My GoPower is $800 + the extras to get it connected.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/go-power-gp-sw2000-12-inverter

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at that thing!!!! Super cool man.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bigger the inverter, the more loss of power. Inverters lose about 15% of their output in heat. Inverters lose power even if they are just turned on and not in use. If you have a big battery bank and a large solar system perhaps the losses mean nothing to you. I travel in a smaller rig and try to be efficient. I rarely need an inverter. My TV has never been used but it is 12volt. My laptops charge with 12 volts. My wife's CPAP is 12 volts. Cellphones charge with 12 volts. If I could not figure out a way of easily making perfect coffee without an inverter, I should probably just stay home or visit an RV park with hook ups.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

If I could not figure out a way of easily making perfect coffee without an inverter, I should probably just stay home or visit an RV park with hook ups.
Probably should.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhere in the archives is my test on small vs big inverters for amps draw in standby and when running a TV. It turned out that there was no advantage in having the small inverter.

The big inverter on short fat wires had less voltage drop and the small inverter actually pulled more amps to run the same TV on its long skinny wires as typical of a small inverter installation.

Standby draw with either was trivial. However, it is not trivial when the big inverter is part of an inverter/charger. Those things have a 12v demand just to fire it up and keep it running with all its fancy features that a simple big inverter does not have.

So be careful when saying "2000w inverter" that you are talking about an inverter or an inverter/charger.

As mentioned, we leave the 2000w PSW inverter on the whole time and the draw from that is trivial (as seen.not seen on the Trimetric) We do turn off the loads on the inverter when not in use, such as the TV by turning off the power bar the Tv is plugged into. The microwave display stays on (also trivial) and even a 120v clock radio (trivial). It is just so handy to have the outlets always live and not have to remember to turn on the inverter before doing somnething that needs it.

If your RV is not set up (or cannot be set up) that way or your choice of RV lifestyle is to enjoy going without some conveniences while camping, that's fine too.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a question in disguise. In hopes to learn about the cheaper knock off brands.

How clean of power does someone need to run a modern TV and some speakers and maybe the margarita blender?

Would love to watch a video on sine waves. Im better with visual. I do have basic understanding off wavelengths. The idea of alternating current going back and forth still trips me out.

Ive been blasted a few times with 277v and a whole office full of lights behind it. Worked for a company as an electrician but never took classes on theory. Im just smart enough to understand i dont know squat about how electricity really works. The people who figured it out hundreds of years ago are truly amazing humans. Bet they got blasted a few times as well!!

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

How clean of power does someone need to run a modern TV and some speakers and maybe the margarita blender?
I can't answer in specifics, but I can advise you to get a decent quality pure sine. They aren't that much more expensive, and everything works. Buy the product, not the price.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How clean of power does someone need to run a modern TV and some speakers and maybe the margarita blender?"

That could turn on the definition of "clean".

In terms of inverters, I have had no trouble with MSW for doing those kind of things. PSW is required for a few special things like electric blankets and other things as listed in the guides for the MSW inverters where they warn about that.

Microwaves are more complicated, where some don't run on MSW but some do, just slower. Some work and run slower making horrible noises, same noises as they do on PSW that has too low a voltage where the 120v supply is on too long an extension or overloaded in a busy park.

The MWs I have had in the last 15 years do ok on MSW, just taking longer to "cook", but even taking longer they draw fewer amps because of the way they get their input from AC, so they have the inverter pull fewer AH from the battery bank to get it done. (more H but less A in the AH where A counts for more )

Some info on inverters and dirty power and MWs and TV picture and radio interference from the 1990s does not seem to apply so much these days it seems. EG the OEM 1990 Dometic RV MW in our C does not run at all on MSW, but does fine with PSW. The MW we had in the 2003 5er had no issues with MSW except to run a bit slower. So they did something back then to the newer MWs.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

So besides price and having to run thicker wires, is there a negative to installing a 2000w inverter that will mostly supply 200w of power?

Trying to be realistic if i would ever want to run a kitchen appliance without firing up the generator.

Yes
It has a higher drain power use at low loads than the smaller 400w inverter
My 2000w PSW inverter has an 800ma AKA 0.8 amps
In standby mode with nothing plugged in our connected
With 'my' normal loads TV, faƱ, USB chargers , i average 2 - 3 amps more load than what the device loads are,
It's easy for me to see, since i have both AC power meter and DC batteries power meter monitor

I have the big one because i set it up whole house and every duplex outlet is powered, and i use the MW without starting the generator , make coffee, keep the Roomba charged, etc..
But there is a power price to pay
I can go minimalist turn things off, if SHTF ever happens

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.