RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kasell

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone! We're looking at getting a 42' fifth wheel (towed by an f350 crew cab). We are most likely going to be full time in it and I've found a promising one!

My question is, is it hard to find camping spots that will accommodate a fifth wheel that large (and with a crew cab truck)? We plan to go all over the US, Canada (if they ever reopen!) and Alaska.

Thanks all!

Edit: Ok. Some clarification. We would be living in this fifth wheel while we build our house (family of 4 and a pet). It's not spending money just to spend it. I'm less concerned about commercial campgrounds as we are also equipped for back country camping (as we already frequently do that). We are experienced tent campers and very aware of a post covid camping world.

I just want to know about the difficulties of finding places to camp with a rig this size, before we make a purchase.

* This post was last edited 10/19/20 01:18pm by Kasell *   View edit history

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In National Parks, yes. In USFS and BLM campgrounds, yes. California State Parks, yes.

See https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf

* This post was edited 10/17/20 02:21pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not as hard as some people make it. Most COE parks can fit you in. Here in Texas many state parks will work. We've been from the Houston area to Virginia, Colorado, and Iowa. Never had to sleep in a WalMart. We are right at 40 ft.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you'll have to be careful, especially with older State and National parks. It's not always about fitting into a site, it's getting TO the site what with narrow roads, sharp curves and the dreaded untrimmed trees and bushes. I have trouble backing in without taking out posts and bushes and rocks, and I'm only at 34'. It's the front end swing of the truck you have to watch out for.

And you may need a bigger truck.

* This post was last edited 10/17/20 02:41pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While many CG's can accommodate a 42' 5er, that doesn't mean every site in that CG is long enough. Planning ahead would be a priority.
I'd be more concerned about everyday travel than finding a spot. Maneuverability will be a little compromised.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For example, I have a 32' 5th wheel (65' overall). Grand Canyon NP campground only has about 10 sites that I can fit in "comfortable". Yellowstone Madison CG has fewer and it is necessary to talk to a FRIENDYL reservation agent to get into one. Glacier NP St. Mary the East side has a number of 30' sites, but it is a VERY TIGHT fit. Only one that I would try to fit anything longer than 35' into. A 40' MH is not the same as a 32' TT or 5th.

I make reservation 6 months out and have always found a site. Some are listed as 30 feet and it is a very tight fit.

COE sites are much larger.
BLM and NFS boondocking sites are most of the time larger.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Private CGs can usually fit any size RV, but SPs and some older public CGs can be an issue. Just driving on some roads in SPs can be a hazard for even a mid height FW. Like mentioned, the park service people hate to trim trees, and often times once committed to a low canopy road, you will be dealing with scratches, or worse, roof damage. Also a FW that size, requires a lot of truck maneuvering to get into tight spots. Private CGs usually have big pull throughs.

Jerry

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

In National Parks, yes. In USFS and BLM campgrounds, yes. California State Parks, yes.

See https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf

In Calif. a 43' fifth wheelmight be problem in some of the state Parks, i.e.Refugio in the San Barbara park ( 30' max). In calif. I would call each RV park and ask them if they have sites for a 43' RV before you go.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kasell wrote:

Hi everyone! We're looking at getting a 42' fifth wheel (towed by an f350 crew cab). We are most likely going to be full time in it and I've found a promising one!

My question is, is it hard to find camping spots that will accommodate a fifth wheel that large (and with a crew cab truck)? We plan to go all over the US, Canada (if they ever reopen!) and Alaska.

Thanks all!

It depends on what states you want to RV in. RVing on the west coast can be difficult,especially in the summer months. Try to make reservations 6 months out but be sure to check what the cancellation policy is. I avoid Southern Calif. like a plague because of traffic congestion and higher RV Park prices. States like Ariz. Texas and the midwest states are less problimatic.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't find a problem finding a campsite for our toyhauler. We use the Good Sam app and look for parks with pull-throughs that fit our needs. If it's questionable about the length of the sites I'll make a quick call and confirm. We just did a trip from Arizona to Michigan UP and back and finding spaces for our rig wasn't an issue.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.