RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you can get by but you won't be able to stay at many campgrounds you might wish to.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at several state and COE parks. Most of them have at least some sites long enough for 40’+. But usually only a small number of the total and those are first to get grabbed up. The majority of the other sites would be hard to get one that long into. And we have been in some that I did not see any site that long. And a couple of state parks would have been difficult to even navigate a 40 footer and CC truck thru the narrow roads and close in trees.

You will find some limitations and you may not always get to stay where you want. But you can always find some where to fit.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check here if it says big rig friendly your good to go. You can always call ahead and ask too. https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if you are aware of the current state of RV travel but there have been some horror stories of people having great difficulty in finding available camping sites. With the pandemic issues, significant numbers of people have taken to the RV lifestyle and this has caused major problems with reservations and availability. In many places you have to reserve months or even a year ahead to get a spot !! You may be shooting yourself in the foot by purchasing such a large RV. It will complicate the process of finding a campground.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question is why did you buy a 42 foot fiver? The answer is because we could. Wonder how many others have such a large size fiver?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

The question is why did you buy a 42 foot fiver? The answer is because we could. Wonder how many others have such a large size fiver?

42' fifth wheel??? What was the most important criteria for your purchase? Spend $$$ because you have it or choosing a RV that meets all of your RV needs with a minium of RV limitations when you get on the road trying to find RV parks that can accommodate your 42' RV.
With my 35' 5th wheel their some RV parks that I can't fit into or are real difficult to use. I like all the extra room a 42' rig offers and you can make it work if you call in advance to the RV Parks to find out if they accommodate your 42'.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be staying at more commercial RV parks. You will have to make your peace with that.
Not just the sites, some access roads will not accommodate a 42' trailer.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to do more leg work looking for your next campsite as you travel around...And will you be camping or glamping.
I would start now before you buy. Call and ask a few places where you might lie to camp.
We all don't RV for the same reasons nor do others like to camp where I do. My 28 RK is 31' 11" long and many favorite places our previous 26' 5th wheel camper worked fine now we have to find other less likely places. Hell if I could swing the bucks I would go back to a truck camper and go where I want.
Make those calls first.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

"Because we could" is not a very good reason to buy 42' unless it fits with your particular idea of "camping". If larger private RV parks is your goal, then that fits. If federal, state, COE, and city parks and smaller and more remote destinations is your goal, then maybe not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> camping sites for a 42' fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.