RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Any experience with a gas fire pit?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any experience with a gas fire pit?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well..The wood campfire is getting outdated...smoke and fire danger is not a good idea anymore. So..the new way and clean way is to hook up a LPG camp fire...been looking at the options. Most of us already have an LPG outlet on the rig...so why not go this route? Just hook up the hose and turn it on ...instant campfire clean no smoke or chance to start a forest fire.
Your thoughts?

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're nice if you don't mind filling up your propane tanks a lot. The average fire pit uses a 20Lb tank in 3-6 hours

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

fpoole

PNW and Beyond

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah, they are handy and after the first 5 min you don't even know it's propane.
Keep in mind that your camper's propane comes out at low pressure and the campfires usually have a reg on them too, which means low=LOW pressure and will barely keep it flambeed..

For a single camper, they just work out better all around.
Easy to start, adjustable smokeless flame and best is you just simply turn it OFF when done. Don't have mess with a dwindling flame and it's clean no ashes etc..
Nice if you have the storage...

[image]

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Retired Old Geezer/Goat)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10ā€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nā€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do like a nice wood fire on cool nights... In my wood stove at home...

I have enjoyed for many decades a wood camp fire too..

But, I've had a propane fire pit for about 12 years now and love the thing when the wood fire just is not in the cards.

I use separate bbq cylinder for the fire pit, as it has it's own regulator and I won't empty my trailer cylinders..
'
I usually only run it for a couple of hours a night, so by the end of a long weekend if used every night, it uses about 1/2 a tank (about 6-8 hours total time). I turn the cylinder valve all the way, but the fire pit has it's own regulator and valve to control the flame size and I only turn it 1 turn. It'll turn around 5 turns for full blast, but you don't need that.. Well, I don't..

We can use it during burn bans in our state where they even say you can't use a charcoal bbq.... I've had several people come over to my site when I have it running during a burn ban to scold me for having a fire, but then they see it's propane and I really don't have to say anything! [emoticon] They just say, "oh, it's propane... Where did you get that?"

We have even used it under the awning while it's raining out! As long as it's not too windy or cold out, it's really nice to have the fire, the rain on the awning and us outside enjoying it all..

Yeah, it's not the same as a real wood fire... But, it's just so easy.. Want to go to bed.. Turn it off and go to bed... With the wood fire, it's either wait for it to burn down to ashes, or put it out with wood in the pit...

[image]

I will still do a real camp fire and enjoy them.. But sometimes the propane is just as well.

[image]

Mitch
[image]

* This post was edited 10/17/20 10:58pm by MitchF150 *

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MMM...ok so what is the rate of consumption?..but really is it that much? Regardless, bringing tanks of LPG is way better than wood... don't you think? just my opinion but it seems a better way.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, it's easier to bring propane than firewood! That's for sure! I don't know the exact rate of consumption, but you'd have to bring a lot of wood to last as long as a propane fire pit would use for the same amount of hours.. I do know that!

But, in the end... It's not so much what uses more... It's what type you prefer and what you are willing to do or not do to achieve that?

I've seen groups haul in close to what looked like a cord of wood and stacked it up in their site. They burned a fire in the mornings and then in the evenings.. They used pretty much all that wood during a long weekend... I didn't run my propane fire pit that much, but I didn't have to haul any wood! [emoticon]

Mitch

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

MMM...ok so what is the rate of consumption?..but really is it that much? Regardless, bringing tanks of LPG is way better than wood... don't you think? just my opinion but it seems a better way.

Depends on the size of the firepit (well, the size of the burner in the fire pit).

This Outland Living model 823 fire pit is rated at 53,000BTU/hr, and a 5 gallon/20lb propane tank contains 430,000 BTU, so you could expect the tank to last for around 8 hours.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought this firepit and am very impressed with the quality, all stainless steel, even the pipe is stainless. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Portable-Propane-Fire-Pit-Bowl-16-Hexagon-Made-in-USA/324253037885?epid=16023788138&hash=item4b7efcb53d:g:j3EAAOSw~29bs5By

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

But, in the end... It's not so much what uses more... It's what type you prefer and what you are willing to do or not do to achieve that?

I love a fire when camping but I don't think I'll go the expense of a LP fire pit.

I went and checked some out and they look pretty nice but I don't think they are for me.

[image]

I get my firewood for free.

[image]

And its easy to take with me.

One last camping trip scheduled for early Nov in the higher elevations. Maybe the fire restrictions will be lifted by then. No fire wont ruin my trip.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess you could burn up a tank in no time but then who wants a towering flame. A reasonable flame will make a tank last a long time and is much cheaper if you are buying firewood. The convenience and portability are hard to beat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any experience with a gas fire pit?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.