RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Finished! Roof Coating/Maintenance Report with Henry's 877

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Finished! Roof Coating/Maintenance Report with Henry's 877

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job! It looks very nice!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you clean the rubber roof so good and then peel it off??? Craig

Chuck ..

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to make sure or try to do the good job the first time around with a clean roof. I believe you will find most manufactures require a clean, dry roof before your apply any product.

The roof had a very thin rubber coating that was peeling off in the corners and various other areas throughout the roof. After 3-1/2 days of working on getting as much of the old thin peeling roof off I was satisfied with surface preparation what I did. A good clean roof surface with a good surface to adhere to is like painting a house.

85% of any paint job is in the preparation. Not always we can spend a lot of time on your projects. But usually if you try to do you best within reason; projects will come out O.K.

I have to tendency to first research things to death people tell me. I am still working on trying to finding a balance at the age of 64.

Chuck

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also did mine with the Henry's 887 Tropicool recently. Very happy with it but it is very smooth & slippery when wet.

18 year old roof here however each year it had spent 7 months indoors so the roof was in better shape than a similar than an always exposed roof.

Similar prep. Washed it with same soap that it, & rest of the the trailer, gets used. Followed that with about 50% clorox & water mix to kill off some of the black trailer pox marks.

Cut around edges with brush going over original caulking to give an added seal. Finally rolled the rest. 1 coat. 2 gal covered roof & slides of a 35' 5er.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question to anyone having used this product over 2004 to 2008 TPO roof membrane:

Q: has the coating adhered well over time (1 year? 2 years?) ?

Q: is the Tropicool coating easy to keep clean (ie. does it accumulate and retain dirt over time (weeks? months?) that is difficult to wash off) ?

BTW, OP: NICE work!

Cheers

*Note: ours (with TPO roof) is stored indoors in a heated marina facility 7 months a year, but contemplating coating roof in ~2 years

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

A question to anyone having used this product over 2004 to 2008 TPO roof membrane:

Q: has the coating adhered well over time (1 year? 2 years?) ?

Q: is the Tropicool coating easy to keep clean (ie. does it accumulate and retain dirt over time (weeks? months?) that is difficult to wash off) ?

BTW, OP: NICE work!

Cheers

*Note: ours (with TPO roof) is stored indoors in a heated marina facility 7 months a year, but contemplating coating roof in ~2 years

Time will tell on durability but I assume that the product has been around for some time & I have not seen any complaints.

It is a smooth finish, slippery when wet, so I anticipate easy cleaning & expect to continue with my usual cycle of at least twice a year cleaning.

Do not get these two similar products confused. I started with 3 coats of HENG'S rubber roof coating. Not impressed. My roof had a milder case of 'roof pox' than the OP. The HENG'S did not cover well at all. Roof pox showed through even after the three coats as recommended.

One coat of Henry's, as instructed, did the job over the Heng's. Live & learn.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother, a retired self employed house paint, did mine with Henry’s 877. Cleaned one day and painted it the next. Took him less than two hours to paint it. One coat, 1 one gallon on a 30’ roof and he put it on pretty heavy. Looks great. All your trying to do is replace the original thin white top of the rubber, didn’t know why they the instruction want to apply so much. Could be their life time warranty claim. My buddy did the same amount on his 30 footer last year and it still looks new.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Do not get these two similar products confused.

Thanks for the differentiation between the two products. Noted.

I saw a "test" somewhere online comparing a roof coating product (can't recall the brand) and its compatibility with TPO (the original TPO formulation, manufactured up to appx 2010), and using adhesive strips applied over the fully cured coating on TPO, were able to peel off and remove the cured coating. That worried me a bit (as a TPO owner).

Cheers

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP and Silversand,
You might be interested in this post by long time member and VERY helpful JBarca. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....thanks BarneyS ! Will have a read.

OK. On edit: I went through the Crazy Seal procedures, and yes, can be applied to TPO:

"Crazy Seal can be applied to fiberglass, rubber / EPDM, TPO, metal, wood, or virtually any other type of roof"

Thanks!

* This post was edited 11/14/20 09:48am by silversand *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Finished! Roof Coating/Maintenance Report with Henry's 877
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.