RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New laptop?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New laptop?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tax Act might be good but I have filed with Credit Karma the last couple of years. It's quick, accurate and free!
As to the actual laptop, the cheapies are likely Chromebooks which are great for accessing online content but not so good for software you might like to reside on your computer. I looked around for a few months and found a great deal on a Windows laptop at Office Depot (or Max) with touch screen (required) and a large SSD for the best speed. Using that today and it was less than $500.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my older, larger laptop (HDD, optical drive, etc.) with a Lenovo ideapad 330S. It has a solid-state drive (not a hard disc drive with moving parts), a good amount of storage, a reasonably fast processor, a nice screen, and a regular keyboard with a numeric keypad. The only thing it doesn't have is moving parts (no HDD nor optical drive). My wife has a late-model HP 17" with a large HDD, big screen, plenty of memory, etc... the ideapad boot/reboot about 20 times faster than her HP - all because of the solid state drive vs. the hard drive (similar processors). Being a Windows PC, it will run any of the Windows software your old one would. I couldn't be happier with it.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Chromebook would seem to be ideal for you. As has been mentioned in another post, Credit Karma is an alternative to Tax Act and it is free, I've been using it for several years and it does the job. Chromebooks run all Google apps so Google Docs is there for writing letters, etc. Google's Gmail will handle your email including from any other email accounts and sync with your iPhone Gmail. My wife has a Chromebook which meets her needs that are very similar to yours.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use both Windows and Chrome books... The Chrombooks are fantastic for online and that's how I do my taxes. NO computer is hacker proof but Chromebooks do have a "Restore to brand new" (Powerwash) feature. ONLY warning any saved data goes POOF. (So I save data to a removable memory card)

My latest windows device is an HP about 600 dollars at Best Buy 250 Gig SSD (Solid state hard drive) quad core... I anticipated the standard all day set up of a new windows machine took about 10 mintues or less.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tasks you mention as desired are possible on the very cheapest of laptops. Heck, your current old PC is probably perfectly capable of serving your needs as described!

Your budget is the biggest question. An iPad would be a great choice, because it will sync with your iPhone, but APPLE products carry a premium price.

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try loading a version of Linux (I use Mint now) on that old machine. I have a VERY old HP laptop that would barely run on Windows so I wiped the hard drive and installed the
Ubuntu version of Linux. Now that machine hums along very smoothly and I am able to do everything on it that I used to do with Windows. You can download the version you want on a thumb drive and then run it from that if you choose or you can load it into your computers drive. The install program gives you the choice.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New laptop?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.