RV.Net Open Roads Forum: when to use "econo mode" on Allison 5 speed tranny?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> when to use "econo mode" on Allison 5 speed tranny?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Tradewinds, running in economy mode causes the transmission to NOT downshift out of 6th gear on gradual grades as early or often as it does when NOT running in economy mode. That occurs when running with cruise control on which I use as often as I can. I think that early shift down to 5th which requires the RPM to go up could have something to do with mileage but cannot substantiate that because I almost always run with economy mode engaged.

When I am in the mountains, I obviously do not run with cruise control or put the transmission in economy mode.

All that to say these are only my observations which don't prove anything. It's just what I do.

Happy travels. Arnold

1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howdy35 wrote:

On my Tradewinds, running in economy mode causes the transmission to NOT downshift out of 6th gear on gradual grades as early or often as it does when NOT running in economy mode. That occurs when running with cruise control on which I use as often as I can. I think that early shift down to 5th which requires the RPM to go up could have something to do with mileage but cannot substantiate that because I almost always run with economy mode engaged.

When I am in the mountains, I obviously do not run with cruise control or put the transmission in economy mode.

All that to say these are only my observations which don't prove anything. It's just what I do.

Happy travels. Arnold
And you are right!

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> when to use "econo mode" on Allison 5 speed tranny?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.