RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get about 170 miles on a tank with my Tahoe and I start hunting for fuel. I tow at 55-60 MPH That that puts me over three hours of travel. I can’t go much longer without a bathroom break and a stretch my legs break and walk around the rig and make sure everything is okay break.

Keep the frontier if it meets your needs, or get a Ram with the 3.6 Pentestar. That is a bullet proof motor.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

I get about 170 miles on a tank with my Tahoe and I start hunting for fuel. I tow at 55-60 MPH That that puts me over three hours of travel. I can’t go much longer without a bathroom break and a stretch my legs break and walk around the rig and make sure everything is okay break.

Keep the frontier if it meets your needs, or get a Ram with the 3.6 Pentestar. That is a bullet proof motor.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

The OP posted over 2 days ago that they are getting a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have F150 3.5L with 36g tank... LOVE IT

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about NY but where I live just the transactional costs for a vehicle change (sales tax and registration) alone would be more than a new fuel tank.

Funfunfun

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice nice nice

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This coming from my username......DO NOT get the Eco diesel! in fact I would skip any small diesel. just too many issues with them that make them unreliable for a vacation vehicle.

Stick with a good reliable V8. I know you can get a 35 gallon tank in a Hemi. also the Eco Diesel can only be had with the small tank in the quad cab because the Def tank takes up the space of the larger fuel tank. you would have to get the crew cab for the larger tank.

As for going with a larger fuel tank, as long as one is made for the truck and the fit is perfect that can be a good way to go!

EDIT.....I see the OP ordered an EcoDiesel. Hopefully he gets a good one and has no issues. I wish him luck, he will need it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee has been great. Not sure of the different size of fuel tanks, but mine is 24.6 gallons, and will go city driving easily 550 miles between tanks. Over 700 miles if I'm on the highway and stay around 70 MPH.

Towing my 3500ish pound Ranger boat, 19 MPG at 70 MPH.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks,

Jeremiah

55-60mph and stopping every 170 miles? That sounds like torture to me! Maybe one day I’ll slow down enough to enjoy the drive.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No aftermarket gas fuel tanks to replace the factory installed tanks, only diesel fuel tanks. Reason I bought a 3/4 ton with the diesel engine was that with the factory 36 gallon fuel tank I knew I would get at least 30% more miles per tank of fuel when towing, as in 11-13 mpg versus 6-8 mpg with a comparable gas engine in the same truck.

Larger factory gas tanks are available with the Ford and Ram 1500 class pickups along with V-6 engines. Toyota only provides a gas guzzling V-8 at this time although a very large fuel tank is standard. With Chevy you have no option for getting a larger gas tank and so I would not advise buying on of their trucks for towing unless you go for the diesel engine.

Diesel provides greater fuel economy but the total cost of ownership is double that of a gas powered vehicle. You have to decide if it is worth the expense or the added towing capacity is actually needed. More important to get the right gears and that usually means special ordering a pickup.

DougA

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, my beautiful new EcoDiesel Ram arrived January 28. But, get this, it was put on the carrier without the manufacturer's statement of origin paperwork or any other paperwork either! My truck was given to a carrier in Michigan with nothing but the keyfob. Oh, and as an added bonus the dealer was being sold and couldn't transact anything for days after it arrived. But, while I couldn't take legal possession of the truck for nearly a week, we did manage to take for "test drives" and put 700 miles on it in four days. It was the most bizarre automotive purchase of my 59 years. Ordered in mid November, COVID delays, then dealer screwed up the initial order and had to reorder. He got an extra red ecodiesel as a result. He sold the other a few days after it arrived. Then this: on January 28 FCA tells me its built, and I'll get on about Feb 15. Within an hour, my dealer calls and says: "Doug your truck's here, but I can't give it to you yet." Say WHAT???!!!

Anyway we are in Texas now. 4,200 miles on the odometer. When towing at 65-70 MPG varies between 11 and 13, far better than the Frontier. Far more power and far steadier riding. When under hard acceleration its far, far quieter than the Frontier, and quieter than the 5.7 Hemi I had 8 years ago in the Durango (which I loved BTW). When towing the truck goes 350 miles when it reads 1/4 full, and that's as far as I've gone on a tank while towing. When not towing we are getting 25-30 MPG. We took a ride out yesterday along the Texas coast without towing. We went 200 miles at speeds of 60 to 80 MPH. The dash computer was telling me we got 31 mpg. Not believing it, I filled it up: it took 6 gallons. Quiet massive pulling power, MPG that's amazing and a nice toy: reverse steering system for backing up a trailer. We've also been on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore. Oh, on sand with the tires at only 20 psi, the mpg computer reads only 15 mpg. I've never calculated MPG while driving on sand, so I've no idea if this good or bad. So far we love it.

Doug & Patti & Puppy Leo
From Upstate New York

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.