|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cmccain13

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our family is going to be in the mountains in NM for a month or so, but not staying in the RV and will be staying in my in-laws house for tow to three weeks. possibly four. So do I still need to winterize? I can make sure its all emptied and drained. The issue is I'm from central Texas and it rarely ever freezes here, so I am very worried about cold weather and the effect it will have on our RV. I would hate for the first stop on our 2 year journey to be a disaster. Thanks for the help and if there is more info that you need let me know.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,d winterize it. and take all the food out. if just blowing out the lines? don,t forget the water pump strainer bowl and low point drains . put some rv antifreeze in the waste water an poo tanks so no water will freeze at the exit valves.

Cmccain13

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

I,d winterize it. and take all the food out. if just blowing out the lines? don,t forget the water pump strainer bowl and low point drains . put some rv antifreeze in the waste water an poo tanks so no water will freeze at the exit valves.

yeah that is what I was afraid of, ok thank you, I really don't want to take it up there and have it sit, it would be different and less risk if we were staying in the RF right?

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two to three weeks below freezing anywhere could damage water lines if you don't winterize.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to plan on winterizing, your unit is new to you and unless you know how it will hold up in those temps you should take every precaution. We live in NM and unless there is a major storm going through daytime temps usually rise above freezing most winter days. I have always just blown out my water lines adding a bit of antifreeze to sinks, toilet, and shower.

Works for us, but I know our rig's capabilities very well, no issues over last 20 years, plus we are always ready at a moment's notice to head south to AZ or TX for a quick respite from winter if we feel the urge. Good luck, hope your journey for the next couple of years in your new Class C goes well and is everything you imagined it would be.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winterize of course.

Cmccain13

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

Best to plan on winterizing, your unit is new to you and unless you know how it will hold up in those temps you should take every precaution. We live in NM and unless there is a major storm going through daytime temps usually rise above freezing most winter days. I have always just blown out my water lines adding a bit of antifreeze to sinks, toilet, and shower.

Works for us, but I know our rig's capabilities very well, no issues over last 20 years, plus we are always ready at a moment's notice to head south to AZ or TX for a quick respite from winter if we feel the urge. Good luck, hope your journey for the next couple of years in your new Class C goes well and is everything you imagined it would be.

we will be in the sandia mountains, but it sounds like its going to be a bad idea since this is my first time in an RV. when you say put anti freeze in the tanks you mean fill them up?

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your tanks are empty you only need to put in a quart or less in each tank. This is in case a small amount of water is left in the tanks, it settles against the dump valves if it is level and this will keep it from freezing and damaging the valves.

You also need to fill the P traps with antifreeze, maybe a pint in each one.

Enjoy the stay.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question about water freezing in 10F degree weather. You need more that just the above answers. Lots of good information on the internet to read or watch...youtube.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The weakest link in winterizing is the toilet water valve. Just blowing it out may not be enough. Best to use 100% non diluted antifreeze in all pipes, valves and drains. And yes, 10 degrees for 4 weeks poses an extreme risk to any water left in the RV. JMO

PS: Do not forget to drain the hot water tank and any water filters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.