|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> General Question on Size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Go to this website and read up, gather all the information, do the math, and you'll be a lot smarter and you'll be able to answer the question for yourself”

Easier to ask, wing, than...

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Second Chance, I don't think you have enough vehicle for that trailer. Look at the GCVR: To find your truck's towing capacity, subtract your truck's curb weight from its Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR). The GCVWR is the maximum weight of your loaded truck and the weight of its attached trailer. Towing Capacity = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight – Curb Weight.

I really suspect your way over.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MGivens79 wrote:

All the research we have done says our vehicle is sized fine for the trailer - and pulls it fine - except the swaying.

If it sways, It DOESN'T pull fine....

That trailer is too long for an Escalade ESV, which is basically a fancy Suburban. You are quoting brochure weights and guarantee you are much heavier at the scales. The 6.2L will pull it but you don't have the suspension to control it.

I find it hard to believe that even the most incompetent dealer would have sold you that trailer without a weight distributing hitch. If I was towing that trailer with my truck, I would still use a WD hitch.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Cadillac "With the right equipment, the Escalade ESV can move up to 8,100 pounds." They are not exactly CLEAR on what that means !

Besides the weight distribution hitch you need an electric brake controller and the appropriate wiring harness. The dealer who sold you the hitch probably can take care of that.

Personally, I think you will be fine as long as you don't overload the vehicle or the trailer. Simple things, like only fill the fresh water tank 25% and make sure to empty the gray and black water before hitting the road.

Take it slow until you get the hang of it. 55-65 on the highway is fine. Give yourself extra room to stop.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to take your rig to a CAT scale. Weigh the truck and weigh the trailer. Also find out the hitch weight. Actual numbers count the most.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right at the upper limit of your tow rating, and probably over the GVWR, as others have said.

Big problem is NOT pulling it, but STOPPING it and handling it in an emergency. That's where the relative weights of the trailer and the tow vehicle, and the tow vehicle wheel base, become important. Your setup is marginal.

Personally I would want a 3/4 ton truck like a F250 to pull that trailer.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've put this out many times when this question comes up- A Toyota pulled the space shuttle! Yep. Many years ago, it was a stunt by the company.
For a safe enjoyable journey, you need to get a 3/4 ton truck for a start, either set up the hitch or have a "competent" dealer install it, and try to hook up with an experienced RVer for your maiden voyage.
It sounds like the dealership was only interested in moving the unit out but I can't understand why they didn't address the hitch--the the hitches usually are brought up early on in the sale.
Please don't roast me on this---but, in almost 50,000 miles of pulling a trailer, I've never seen a Cadillac as a tow vehicle. They do make a great toad behind a motorhome though.
See ya out there.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I've put this out many times when this question comes up- A Toyota pulled the space shuttle! Yep. Many years ago, it was a stunt by the company.
For a safe enjoyable journey, you need to get a 3/4 ton truck for a start, either set up the hitch or have a "competent" dealer install it, and try to hook up with an experienced RVer for your maiden voyage.
It sounds like the dealership was only interested in moving the unit out but I can't understand why they didn't address the hitch--the the hitches usually are brought up early on in the sale.
Please don't roast me on this---but, in almost 50,000 miles of pulling a trailer, I've never seen a Cadillac as a tow vehicle. They do make a great toad behind a motorhome though.
See ya out there.

Have you ever seen a Surburban towing something? thats all this is, with a bunch more glitz and styling.

My bets are that there is not enough tongue weight, and the tires are not LT tires, so they are too soft, combined with the fact that it is not enough vehicle to be comfortably hauling a travel trailer that long. To me, the length is more of a problem than the weight. Plus that vehicle has extra soft suspension for the ride.

I did have a pic of an Escalade with a canoe on top and a 30 ft Airstream hooked to it, at the local truck stop, but cannot find it now on the phone.

Charles

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 02:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a lot of folks this year who are new to RV's that bought into the Covid RV fad. Despite being a couple or family with one or two children they purchased the biggest rig they could either find or afford. IMO its a my D&^k is bigger than your D&^k sort of thing they came to quickly regret. A dealer will push a buyer into the largest rig possible every time that commands the most profit.

""Sounds like your selling dealership is in to profits rather than customer service or education.""

Hahaha...thats funny. Which one isn't?

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 02:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I
See ya out there.

Now you HAVE and a Marcedes too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> General Question on Size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.