|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> FRESH WATER TANK LEAK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No expert but FW isn't under pressure and something like Eternabond might suffice. Won't cost much to test.

Kevin

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94-D2 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I sort of had the same issue. Basically a poor installation. I replaced the tank myself with a brand new tank. I did not trust that a repair would be permanent or foolproof vs. replacement.

I found the model but a new one does not come with the inlet, drain, over flows and monitors in.

Did your replacement come prepared or did you have to have them custom installed.

Interestingly enough, I ordered mine through an RV shop. vs. directly from tank manufacturer. As a result all those items were in place. I imagine the shop knew to have tank prepped before it was shipped vs. just ordering a blank tank.
Kudos to the shop because I would not have thought about ordering the tank prepped. For the most part I think I could of transferred old connections to new tank. However it was nice that it was already done for me . Especially tank sensors.
Although the shop ordered the tank. The tank was shipped directly to me ready to go. Cost through shop was comparable to ordering directly.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I borrowed a proper air welder today. It came with three different types of rods, abs, pvc and PP rods. None of those would stick. I deduced that this tank was PE plastic and I enlisted a few tops from cheap water bottles. Worked like a charm. Tank is full on a set or saw horses, no leaks from the weld in over three hours. I’m going to over coat with UV activated composite weld and call it good. If it happens again, I will try a direct replacement from the manufacturer if that is possible.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

blueglide

Full time USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job! Those fresh water poly tanks are usually LDPE (low density polyethelene) and plastic milk jugs (or water bottle caps) will often work if you don't have LDPE welding rod.

2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blueglide wrote:

Good job! Those fresh water poly tanks are usually LDPE (low density polyethelene) and plastic milk jugs (or water bottle caps) will often work if you don't have LDPE welding rod.

Apparently so. Been holding a full tank for several hours now. I’m going to coat in a uv activated plastic weld and re-install the tank with some additional belly support. I will clean up the wiring and hydraulic lines and close backup with the coroplast covering. I also have a mod planned for the rear bumper and going to add a set of casters that will require modifications to the brackets of the rear end with a 92” custom diamond plate storage box.

I’ll post up some pics as it gets done.

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace your insulation with Rock WOOL AS ITS WATER IMPERVIOUS.Had the ice maker line let go on our 2014 Landmark,the wiring etc was very neat.Also check the heat ducting for crimping.cheers

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only insulation in there (if it is even that) is a metalisized bubble wrap laying on top of the coroplast. Nothing else.

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting,ours has the bubble wrap as well but was well insulated.I replaced with r22,we are wintering in it and it stays very nice,it has the winter pkg .

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have thought it would come with insulation. But I guess I’m beginning to understand why it was such a great deal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> FRESH WATER TANK LEAK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.