RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bit late to the party, but will throw it out there for consideration. I did a bi-fold ramp for ours years ago for our two Pitbulls. Scissor steps are a nightmare for dogs and us. They are never level or solid under foot, so I'm surprised your still going with them. The ramp was just plywood construction. Hooked on the existing hanger that was just below the door. Deck was just under the width of the door so the ramp could be folded and slid in. Though could be built to not fold and still be slid in. Deck was carpeted and had 1/2" thick by 1" cleats like a boat plank, for extra fudge factor when wet. It was a first one to try and could have been made much lighter. Was even considering an Aluminum version with a bottom half that ext/retracted to compensate for varied height. But didn't get to the improved version as wasn't needed anymore.
The new NL we just ordered has a great set of stairs plus a nice removable third step.
I do like your rail idea. Be a good place to hang a small deck from. One that's light weight and could be stowed inside during travel. Maybe that with a set of solid steps going off the side would be a good option. Gives a half way down place to pause and readjust the kids, if needed. Have the deck hang so it's above your hitch so can still be used with the bar there. Side stairs also would work in that case.
Anyhow, I'm just babbling out random brain pharts......[emoticon]

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

Scissor steps are a nightmare for dogs and us.

I have always heard that but both my dogs fly up and down the steps like they are nothing. I went with the glow steps also as my old ones were worn out and the lap never heven thought twice about going up or down them. and there rock solid everywhere I have used them so far.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My small dogs like the latest set on glow steps as well as I posted before. Even we have 4 steps to keep them level, we never felt need for handrail. I added traction tape on them though
When Bert has bigger dogs, I wonder if his steps were different than TL glow steps?

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have dogs so no issue there.
I think we are all defaulting to something that folds up for some reason.
I've been saying I was going to build a set of steps similar to what I had back in the 1980's. Just wide enough to pass through the door and store inside. Made of plywood and covered with astroturf or carpet to prevent damaging inside the camper.
**I got this far with this post and realized I posted the same thing earlier....disregard.

* This post was edited 12/13/20 02:03pm by TxGearhead *

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

My small dogs like the latest set on glow steps as well as I posted before. Even we have 4 steps to keep them level, we never felt need for handrail. I added traction tape on them though
When Bert has bigger dogs, I wonder if his steps were different than TL glow steps?

Both are/were 70 lb Pitty's. One would go up but would slip too often for my liking. The other was just a big scaredy cat, so I'd have to lift him. Which meant me, 260lbs, carrying George, 70lbs up the stairs or removing the stairs an heaving the big dummy in through the narrow door. Neither good for my back.

They weren't the glow steps but the usual basic diamond tread accordion ones that come stock.

The TL Glow ones do look like they'd be much more stable and have less wiggle in all directions.
I'm just looking forward to the ones on my new NL 10-2 LE. Comes with a third step that nests into the two-step swing down unit so it's always there when needed.

Now it's just Finn and the 3 Chihuahua's. They toss in easy enough. Finn may still need some help on the new steps, or a ramp. We'll see.

So are those Glow steps solid under foot? I thought the leveling legs were a good idea but also looked like a tripping hazard.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had several replies with pictures showing that other, than TL brand of scissor steps sag on the hinges and make parabola instead of line of steps.
My small dogs slid on aluminum steps as well, but I added traction tape and for 1st step I usually wrap the carpet liner, that you can buy at Camping World.
When my 4 steps are pretty solid, I have seen Host having 7 of them, so that should vouch for stability.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had considered different step options (even bought a Little Giant step ladder to try someone else's solution). It is still an option I will consider but for now I'm looking at modifying the current Brophy steps by adding additional support bracing to the scissors like how the Glow Steps are.

HMS Beagle's solution is what I'm emulating to the extent possible and I would like to just get something working and then evolve from there.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

I thought the leveling legs were a good idea but also looked like a tripping hazard.

Likely getting a bit off OPs topic so Ill refer to other thread where I reworked our levelers (3 times). I also saw as tripping hazard.https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29543078.cfm. Simplest, just unbolting which helps, is swapping levelers left for right to place tubes further outboard instead in front of treads. Making spacers replacing bolts-minor fab, can be moved even further. Also improves/shortens stored hang-down if T/Ls Stow-N-Go storage bracket used.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never liked the legs and never had them.
For added comfort and also for rare occasion where ground was not level, I used the platform step under 1st scissor step. That was giving me good starting point and adjustable legs allow for leveling.
The platform is also good backup for table stool when you have a party.

[image]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on my third set of GlowSteps now. I started with a 5-step 6" tread, upgraded trucks and went to special 7-step 8" tread setup on the same camper. When I upgraded campers to side door model, I went to the 25" wide 6-step Revolution. Three dog and one wife approved.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.