|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Western Washington to Nashville

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Nashville is a fantastic place to live except for one problem there's nothing to see within 500 miles. Depending on what you have seen in your other travels, you might want to take in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, the national parks of Utah and Monument Valley. Then you have 2 days hard-driving to Nashville.

Even in mid April, if you hit bad weather simply hold up for a day and continue trip. So any of the many routs from Washington to Nashville should work for you.

I believe you are sadly mistaken about what there is to see and do in the beautiful state of Tennessee.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obgraham - that's what we've used in the past, so thanks for the reminder on the state DOT. Appreciate that both you and Thermoguy are both from Washington and concur with planning a direct route. It definitely saves us time and we have friends/family that we can visit on that route too.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the Columbia river route on our way home from the Olympic Penn. on 84 to Salt Lake City and there was nothing challenging about it. I had a 30ft. trailer with me and had no issue at all. Not the same time of year but the road is not the infamous mountain pass kind of road at all.

Heading south on I-5 into Cali. you put yourself into major cities to get far enough south to cut over east. Out of SLC take 80 east, no mountain passes like on 70 in Colorado, Vail pass is 10,000 ft. altitude.

Nashville has Broadway street with the music bars and country singer museums. Andrew Jackson's home, The Hermitage is just east of downtown and worth the stop. The museum is very interesting and the home tour is good too. Weather here in TN in April is, or should be pleasant with the trees and early flowers budding out. Depending on how long you stay in Nashville you might consider a day trip down to Lynchburg and the Jack Daniel Distillery, or just head down to Tims Ford State Park for a couple days. Due to COVID they have suspended their tours though so who knows if they might resume by then. The bottle shop is still open though. Not far from Lynchburg is Tullahoma where the Beechcraft Heritage Museum is. If you like aircraft this is a wonderful stop.

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 - thanks! That's one of the drawbacks of heading south...big cities and traffic. Also, thanks for the tip on I-80 vs. I-70...definitely prefer 80....and the suggestions for Nashville.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Ken56 suggestion as I80 should be fine by mid April. Even if there is a late snow it shouldn't affect the road conditions for very long.

As far as Florida, that would be 1 day of travel in both directions so IMO not worth all the extra driving. If you want entertainment, look into Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. That is only about 4 hours east of Nashville.

* This post was edited 11/04/20 12:35pm by kohldad *

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks kohldad - good point about Florida and appreciate the suggestion about Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. That would be time (and money) better spent to stay in the area.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide to come over to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area just ask me for suggestions. We live 25 miles out of PF and Sevierville and can offer up some more suggestions.

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

If you decide to come over to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area just ask me for suggestions. We live 25 miles out of PF and Sevierville and can offer up some more suggestions.

Ken56 - We decided to spend several days in the Pigeon Forge area, so any suggestions would be appreciated. The last time we were in the Smoky Mountains, we had a car (not RV). Is it best to park RV in Pigeon Forge and then get a rental car to tour around Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One area I'd suggest stopping at is St Louis; there's a lot to see and do in that city. The zoo and botanical gardens are renowned, the City Museum is great fun for children and the young at heart (wear long pants and consider bringing knee pads), there's the arch, etc. Personally, I'd rate the City Museum as more fun than Walt Disney World, however tastes do differ.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunfan wrote:

What do you think about taking I-20? Thinking maybe we could visit White Sands NP again (weather should be fine) and then head East on I-20 through Dallas (or possibly drop down to I-10 and visit family in San Antonio, Houston).

Since you asked about I-20 I will comment about that portion of your contemplated route. From Dallas to Nashville is about 665 miles. One good thing: from west to east I-20 is an easy route south around Dallas/Fort Worth on the south. I have towed my fifth-wheel on this route several times and have never had to slow down.

April is a beautiful time in East Texas as the wildflowers are blooming and the temperature/humidity hasn't reached Summer's awful highs. There is a super fine state park at Tyler just off I-20, but the park is popular and would require advance registration.

The direct route to Nashville from Dallas is to take I-30 to Little Rock and I-40 on to Memphis and Nashville. (the interchange from I-20 to I-30 would be on the east side and still avoid much of the city traffic.)

You have mentioned the alternative to drop south. If so, you would stay on I-10 and not take I-20. In April this would take you to the Texas Hill Country and such towns as Kerrville and Fredericksburg as well as to San Antonio. It would be a great time for a visit to Fredericksburg, a quaint town with German heritage. The bluebonnets would likely be near their peak. To really enjoy this area would require staying over for a day or two at least.

You may take an entirely different route, I am commenting only on the portion of I-30, I-30, and I-10 within Texas. I know these routes well as I live just 20 miles north of I-20 not far from the Louisiana state line. Let me know if I can help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Western Washington to Nashville
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.