|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> General 5th Wheel Brand Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does Forest River's Cedar Creek compare to the Keystone Montana? I know it's a subjective question but any input would be appreciated. We're looking at both brands.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the “key” is in the inspection (inside, under, on top), running every system and any repair completed before any money changes hands. Few are willing to do this chore unfortunately...”takes too much time,” “will get my clothes dirty” etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both have their fans here. Both have their detractors.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got it. Thanks

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a lot of research before buying our 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback. Things like; wall construction, frame construction, suspension, interior components, solar, toppers, real ducted air, slide mechanisms, Insulation/R value, fully enclosed and heated compartments and floor, etc etc. I bought our FW for more of what you can't see than what you can. About 6 mos with it and very happy with no issues to speak of. We paid a little more, but you get what you pay for.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always on the look out for a high quality used FW, just in case we have to replace ours. There is nothing wrong with ours, I'm just that type of person to be informed just in case. I've always thought the older Cedar Creeks were of high quality, but when asking our RV tech, he said ours is of a higher quality, so that brand is out. I didn't ask him what year the one on his business lot was so no offense to way2roll on his 2020 Cedar Creek.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I did a lot of research before buying our 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback. Things like; wall construction, frame construction, suspension, interior components, solar, toppers, real ducted air, slide mechanisms, Insulation/R value, fully enclosed and heated compartments and floor, etc etc. I bought our FW for more of what you can't see than what you can. About 6 mos with it and very happy with no issues to speak of. We paid a little more, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the info

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

I'm always on the look out for a high quality used FW, just in case we have to replace ours. There is nothing wrong with ours, I'm just that type of person to be informed just in case. I've always thought the older Cedar Creeks were of high quality, but when asking our RV tech, he said ours is of a higher quality, so that brand is out. I didn't ask him what year the one on his business lot was so no offense to way2roll on his 2020 Cedar Creek.

No offense taken. Personally I think anything made 10 years ago had better quality.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think both have their pluses and minuses. These days, it feels like such a crapshoot with any brand. We've had no issues with our Montana High Country, but I'm in a few Montana owner Facebook groups, and some with the same model year have had nothing but issues. I'm guessing we are in the majority vs minority since people w/ issues yell louder than those without any.

In the end, I think finding the floor plan and finish level you like is more important (in addition to how it's constructed as previously mentioned), and then just do thorough walkthroughs and inspections prior to taking delivery. Also the dealer you buy from can make a BIG difference.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very subjective question. I can only say that Forest River is more responsive to warranty issues than Keystone Montana.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> General 5th Wheel Brand Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.