RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: General 5th Wheel Brand Question

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > General 5th Wheel Brand Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/03/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once heard there were more Montana's on the road than anything else.


2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900


ACZL

UPstate,NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/20 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The techs where we bought our '06 CC from said few years later that our '06 was better than the new ones (Creek line). When shopping for a new RV our hopes were very high and set on another Creek, but none of their floorpans triggered our fingers as much as one in sig.


2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

The techs where we bought our '06 CC from said few years later that our '06 was better than the new ones (Creek line). When shopping for a new RV our hopes were very high and set on another Creek, but none of their floorpans triggered our fingers as much as one in sig.


That's what our RV tech says too - the older ones are better built. When the time comes that we are too old to deal with hooking up the FW, we'll switch to a motorhome and we'll look for an older model and have our RV tech inspect it before purchasing.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


justme

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/09/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When someone says "better built" I wish they would be more specific. Otherwise, it simply is an opinion based on hearsay. Newer materials and construction techniques can cause that comment when in fact they are better in many ways. Manufacturing problems are a concern though because RVs are essentially hand-built. And then we have difficulty to work on aspects.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/09/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

When someone says "better built" I wish they would be more specific. Otherwise, it simply is an opinion based on hearsay. Newer materials and construction techniques can cause that comment when in fact they are better in many ways. Manufacturing problems are a concern though because RVs are essentially hand-built. And then we have difficulty to work on aspects.


Are you referring to my comment?

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/09/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I once heard there were more Montana's on the road than anything else.



They were the #1 selling fifth wheel for many years. You still see a lot of new ones ,I suspect they still are . I have owned 2 of them, and they served me well .

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 02/04/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/10/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Cedar Creek 2016 Hathaway model. Here's what I like: Hung walls with residential insulation. Walls have studs on 16" centers and are screwed in place. Cannot delaminate, have room to allow electrical boxes and plugs on outside walls. Hydraulic leveling and slide out mechanisms. Room on each side of the bed even into the slide-out. Making the bed is a breeze. Very quiet and efficient ducted A/C. "I" beam frame also has a square tube stiffener welded along the length for reinforcement. Brand name appliances, carpet, furniture and mattress. Very happy with ours. Factory has been very receptive about sending me parts for things I can fix or okaying mobile service for other repairs.'

B.O.

* This post was edited 11/10/20 09:02pm by B.O. Plenty *


Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

klr650goldwing

minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are looking at a couple nice brands there. Grand Design Solitude is another of similar quality.


2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

NJRVer

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 05/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I bought a Cedar Creek 2016 Hathaway model. Here's what I like: Hung walls with residential insulation. Walls have studs on 16" centers and are screwed in place. Cannot delaminate, have room to allow electrical boxes and plugs on outside walls. Hydraulic leveling and slide out mechanisms. Room on each side of the bed even into the slide-out. Making the bed is a breeze. Very quiet and efficient ducted A/C. "I" beam frame also has a square tube stiffener welded along the length for reinforcement. Brand name appliances, carpet, furniture and mattress. Very happy with ours. Factory has been very receptive about sending me parts for things I can fix or okaying mobile service for other repairs.'

B.O.



So with a "hung wall" how is the fiberglass attached to the studs. I don't see any outside fasteners on any of the photos I see.
I am actually looking at Cedar Creeks now. Don't want a new one as it appears they dropped the rear fiberglass cap after 2018. I really like the look of the rear fiberglass cap.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2009

View Profile



Posted: 11/11/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I look at campers, first place to check is the bathroom. Look for porcelain toilet, glass shower doors and a real fiberglass one piece shower. The rest of the camper will be constructed better. Now, the floor plan.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > General 5th Wheel Brand Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.