RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Leaf springs new best brand triple axle advice

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaf springs new best brand triple axle advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the springs are flat I would go up about 1,000 pounds rated (pair).

If you must just get the two I doubt it is a big deal.

Are you sure it is not the flipped shackle that makes them look flat? If you can just get the weight off the springs and everything positioned right again maybe it is fine.

Can you post some pictures?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Are you sure it is not the flipped shackle that makes them look flat? If you can just get the weight off the springs and everything positioned right again maybe it is fine.

Well. I flipped The shackle back so it was correctly oriented and the spring went from having a negative curve to having more of a flat shape. The other thing that I’ve noticed over the years I never thought it was that big of a deal but maybe it is, my trailer has always been sort of angled nose down so to speak when I’m driving along in my truck, I think my truck leaf springs have slowly lost some of their capacity. I think I’m gonna get some airbags finally. But I wonder if not having the trailer perfectly level while towing has just put more weight on that front axle. It’s definitely not an extreme amount of unlevel Ness, but it is noticeable.

As far as going up 1000 pounds, I really don’t know what the leaf springs are rated out right now, I was looking at the new leaf springs and they all have white ratings but I guess I’ll have to figure out what mine are first, I thought if you just went from a four to a five or a five to a six, it would just obviously be stronger. The guys at the Sort of RV shop recommended the six leaf springs instead of my four

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not just the number of leafs but the thickness and the metallurgy. Best to find the actual rating. Worth a call to the manufacturer. Usually the axle will have a tag with the rating or the model number to look it up. I would get springs that cover the full axle rating and maybe a little more. I would have to know the rating not just accept what they happen to have left over from the last job.

Example if they are 5200 axles I would be going 2750 on the springs (2750x2=5500)
Check the springs in the link I posted above.

6 leafs could be 2500 to 3800 rating

* This post was edited 11/05/20 07:52pm by time2roll *

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

It is not just the number of leafs but the thickness and the metallurgy. Best to find the actual rating. Worth a call to the manufacturer. Usually the axle will have a tag with the rating or the model number to look it up. I would get springs that cover the full axle rating and maybe a little more. I would have to know the rating not just accept what they happen to have left over from the last job.

Example if they are 5200 axles I would be going 2750 on the springs (2750x2=5500)
Check the springs in the link I posted above.

6 leafs could be 2500 to 3800 rating

I actually edited my opening post, they are 5080 pound axles

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old '97 5th wheel rv trailer has tandem 5200 lb Dexter ax;les and weighs in the 11200-11400 lb range depending on how we load it. Now subtract 2200 lbs of pin weight = 9200 lbs on the trailer axles.....or 4600 lbs per axle. I've noticed the 23 year old springs have flattened some since new. If I keep the trailer it gets new 5200 lb Rockwell American Axles like my commercial trailers came with.
Myself...I wouldn't go with a 5-6 leaf spring on a axle that small especially a triaxle.

I've pulled several tri axle non RV GN trailers and have a triaxle GN stock trailer now (7k Axles). One thing I learned through experience out on the road is when I lifted one side of the trailer when changing a flat tire there was sometimes a side link that would flip which can be a big problem on the road getting it back in the correct position.
Lifting the end of a axle was all that was needed. Eliminates flipped links.
senior moment...Wheel weight changed to 4600 axle weight...jim

* This post was edited 11/09/20 06:46pm by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Well. I flipped The shackle back so it was correctly oriented and the spring went from having a negative curve to having more of a flat shape. The other thing that I’ve noticed over the years I never thought it was that big of a deal but maybe it is, my trailer has always been sort of angled nose down so to speak when I’m driving along in my truck, I think my truck leaf springs have slowly lost some of their capacity. I think I’m gonna get some airbags finally. But I wonder if not having the trailer perfectly level while towing has just put more weight on that front axle. It’s definitely not an extreme amount of unlevel Ness, but it is noticeable.

As far as going up 1000 pounds, I really don’t know what the leaf springs are rated out right now, I was looking at the new leaf springs and they all have white ratings but I guess I’ll have to figure out what mine are first, I thought if you just went from a four to a five or a five to a six, it would just obviously be stronger. The guys at the Sort of RV shop recommended the six leaf springs instead of my four

ok, finally was able to take some pictures,, hopefully i can put them on here. the flat springs are the front axle, the curved spring is the middle axle,, the messed up looking rubber bumper is in between the front and middle axles, this bumper looks messed up as it was the one next to the flipped shackle, the other side looks fine. the tag is on the front axle, i am surprised it says 5200 lbs when the trailer tag says 5080. the equalizer is inbetween the front and middle axle and it says dexter 13-144

i think the equalizer may be stuck in that position,, it has not moved,, could be a problem,,,thoughts for anyone?

here is a youtube video of the pictures i took,,, could not upload them onto here

https://youtu.be/Rxj7Q1vqNfY

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Official RV.net upload site to create a photo link:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

Your video:

https://youtu.be/Rxj7Q1vqNfY

That does not look quite like I expected. The equalizer bushings look shot. This may contribute to them out of position. Have you put a bar in there to make sure they are not frozen in place from corrosion or poor installation?

Looks like a Dexter equalizer and they did have some shipped with bad rubber. Probably no warranty at this point.

The geometry gets out of shape when the springs are elongated from being flat. the compressed rubber is not helping either. I think this is bunching up your equalizers and pushing them into a bad position. Long shot would be the equalizers are the wrong size between the springs.

Fully read the Dexter equalizer manual. Note there is a difference in equalizers for triple axles. Diagram p6 shows how it should lay out. I could not see all the angles needed in the video to really get a good picture of what is going on. You need to be your own expert on this.

Dexter ez flex manual

Get your tape measure out and verify the dimensions etc.

* This post was last edited 11/09/20 09:55pm by time2roll *   View edit history

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Why would you even consider a "Shady" repair shop?

Perhaps because its a lot cooler than a sunny repair shop?

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

so i rolled the front and rear axle up onto blocks about 3 or 4 inches high,, and the middle axle dropped down and made the equalizer move into a more neutral positon, here is video

i think it is clear the front leafs have weakened so much, probably from me driving with the trailer tilted forward ( i had no idea this was creating a problem) that it is messing with the equalizers and also that flipped shackle messed up the one bumper.

the question now remains, do i just buy a new pair of front leaf springs and a new bumper,,, or do i buy all new 3 pair of leafs and a front bumbper.

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

here is new video

https://youtu.be/HKsM1k5WL_o

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaf springs new best brand triple axle advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.