|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say, "I bought this boat because it's cheaper than staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants. Comparing the cost of RVing with flying and renting a car, etc. is missing the point.I have an RV because I like driving down the highway and seeing the sights. Pre and post covid, I like pulling into small towns and eating in local cafes. I like sleeping in my own bed and having my own bathroom. And, I prefer a campground, even an RV park, to a hotel. I like not having to pack and unpack every time I move. I like going a lot of places where there are no hotels.True, I can stay in my TT in San Diego for a month for around $1000. That's four or five nights in a hotel. I can cook in or eat out. But, that's not the point. The point is that I have an RV because I like the lifestyle.I like road trips and I like to be able to go to remote places and be comfortable.It's not about what it costs, it's about what I do for recreation.

scenechaser3

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is how I justify the expense..... My little camper is my home when I am away from home. It is clean, my wife and I are the only ones that stays in it and use it. We have a small dog that we take with us, most decent motels doesn't accept any pets. So when we go places, we can leave our dog in the camper with no worries at all. I feel more relaxed in a place that I can call "home". We go traveling, we cook and seldom ever eat out. The biggest expense is pulling the camper to location, after that it's only lot rent. In my opinion, the longer we stay, the more benefit we get from the trip. Even if fuel was up to $5 gallon, there maybe fewer trips but I would make the trips that I take last longer....

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB Travel Trailer
2020 Ford F350 XLT

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always been as "cheap" as they come. Yet, this expensive hobby has grabbed my attention and wallet. All it took was the first experience with my wife and kids to realize that my goals needed to shift away from preparing for the future and towards living in the present. I now have what I hope is a healthy balance, and we have created RV memories in the last 10 years that have no price tag. I will continue to do so...no matter the cost.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I traveled at 4 and 5 dollars a gallon for gasoline. Under 2 sure isnt going to crimp my style now even if my income hadnt risen.

But i understand the concern expressed about government raising fuel taxes any time they think they can get away with it.

Dennis Smith

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drove to Alaska last summer 2019. 5 and 6 bucks a gallon in Canada. Planed on it and saved all year to pay for it. It cost to have fun. If you can't afford it cut back on your trip or save more money. Camping is not cheap, learn to save in other ways.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't feel I have to justify my hobbies to anyone except my wife.

Since she loves RVing as much as I do, I don't need any other justification.

Ive never cared to do the comparison between RVing and hotel vacations. There is no comparison. There may be other reasons to choose hotel vs RV, but cost has never been one for me.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

We are retired and travel is our main expense. We don’t eat out, go to movies or to bars, etc.
We go to state parks, COE campgrounds because the are usually the best for privacy and not being in a glorified parking lot. We don’t boondock. Been there, done that, don’t wanna do it anymore.
Since overseas travel is out for now, we use the camper a lot more.
I’m not worried about fuel costs. The US has gotten off cheap for years. There’s a reason Europeans don’t have big trucks or SUVs. The last car we rented was in Italy in 2019 and it got almost 60 MPG, converted from litres and KMs.
Like some say, it is what it is. We’re gonna go enjoy it as much as we can.
Fuel prices are way down the list as to reasons Europeans don't have large SUVs and Trucks. The fact that almost the entire infrastructure of the continent makes operating a large vehicle impractical to impossible is a much greater reason.
The roads in many towns were laid out by Ben Hur and his associates. They are barely wide enough for a horse and chariot, much less a one ton dually. Parking that truck would be impossible anywhere near the city centers of most European cities. Many Europeans have plenty disposable income to enable them to buy the fuel if they actually wanted and had huge vehicles. Bicycles, scooters, micro cars and public transportation are the commuter vehicles of choice in vast parts of Europe. Big vehicles just aren't a part of their DNA.

Lots of buses, delivery trucks, and giant tractors get around just fine. However, I remember some doodlehead driving a Hummer in downtown London near Covenant Garden market. He drew a crowd watching him try several places to park. Ended up causing a traffic jam because he couldn’t get further down the road.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the daily costs of RVing, there is of course the cost of the RV itself.

But for us, none of it matters. We got our first trailer thinking it was sort of a motel room on wheels --a convenience, and nothing more.

We were wrong. We discovered to our shock that we loved camping (who knew??) and have made RVing the center of our recreational lives.

My only regret is that we discovered it so late in life --when I was in my early 50s. Our kids were already grown and gone. We could have done this when they were small, but we thought it was too difficult. Wrong.

So to us, it almost does not matter if RV travel costs more than flying and staying in hotels. (I doubt it does cost more, but that is not the issue.) I just don't worry about the cost. The fun is priceless.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election.

But how many SMILES per gallon???

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought gas here today for $1.70, another place had it for $1.60. I may never see that again if all the green new deal works out. Never mind all my oil and fracking leases. Don’t look good folks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.