|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

I do. I listened to them speak.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like every election that has come before, the promises, slogans and campaign agendas that dominated the pre-election are mostly forgotten and shoved aside in the days that follow that election. Bold initiatives are replaced by pragmatic foot dragging. Or as told in song by one of the greatest rock bands in history:

"There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again, no, no
Yeah
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Pete Townsend and The Who Circa 1971

The world currently has a surplus supply of oil, excess production capacity and weak global demand. An election doesn't change those dynamics.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

The world currently has a surplus supply of oil, excess production capacity and weak global demand.
Seems reasonable.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are fortunate that we can travel when we want, where we want. Over the last 10 years our cost/day worked out to $50-60 average. Now we generally stay in one spot for several days and seldom travel more than 250 miles/day, so gas costs get spread around. And we often use FS/BLM campgrounds or state parks. prefer the more remote older campgrounds and they are usually near where we want tp visit and we usually cook our own meals.

Our last trip to the steens mtns for a week cost us $24 for the campsite (BLM senior rate $4/day, regular rate $8/day) and $200 for fuel.

A few years ago we took the grandkids to yellowstone and glacier and stayed at FS campgrounds near the park again <$10day vs cost in the park or an RV park

and when we compare our cost/day camping vs. our discrecionary expenses at home, camping is lower cost/day.

* This post was edited 11/04/20 05:58pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election. You can save a ton of money equipping your rig to boondock instead of expensive and likely crowded campgrounds.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

I can't explain this without getting political. anybody watching the news and promises should be well informed however.
bumpy

Depends on your sources, down side of an issue is not told by the mainstream media if it puts one party in a bad light, and hence, many are not aware of the dire consequences.

bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here and lots of good comments. We are recently retired and are now more tied to a budget. Certainly not quitting RVing, just have to be more conscience of costs. Although I understand supply vs. demand, its a little disheartening seeing certain RV parks doubling the nightly rates and doing nothing to improve their parks.
BTW, I average 9 mpg when towing and I did use $5 a gallon to figure my gas costs. 3800 miles divided by 9 equals 422 gallons. At $5 a pop, that's $2110. I'm by no means a math wiz, but I think that's right. No, I don't believe gas will go up that much by this summer but I do think that by this time next year it's sure a possibility.

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question ...
You couldn't be more wrong. All you do is shut down the government in a manner that extract maximum pain until the opposition gives in to your every demand while you don't have to give an inch. You must have a short memory.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question).

Now let's say it's a worst case scenario and gas is $5/gal.
- 3800miles at 10mpg is 380 gallons or about $1900. Round it up to $2000 for some local site seeing.
- Even at $2.50/gal, that's only a $1000 difference. Since you are heading out west where boondocking is a lot easier, you can make most of that up with 10-15 boondocking nights. Plus $55/n not being cost conscious. We just ran southern Wyoming thru Utah to Vegas...and our worst price was $35/n with most nights in the $20-25/n range.

All this concern while buying $60,000 trucks and $30,000 trailers...

So nope, I'm not really worried about costs of gas and RV parks suddenly getting out of control.

I hope your right, but with the concessions to the New Green Deal, Gas WILL go up, even if the laws dont change. As was done in the prior administration, executive orders, and additional regulations will be the drivers, raising the cost with zero benefit to anyone but the Government. Who as always will find ways to benefit from the taxes.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to RV'ing money. The only way to get value out of your RV is to use it. Yes taking a trip may cost more if gas prices increase however you will still get the maximum value out of your RV by using it.
Parking the RV and not using it is a bigger waste of money than any gas expenditure. Do you really believe you are saving money by not using an RV that you purchased?
I am committed to RV'ing. If the budget must be tightened the savings will come from non RV activities.
Those of us that have been RV'ing awhile survived the last round of 5.00 a gallon prices. We will survive the next round whenever it occurs.
I'm at the age where quality time on earth is more valuable than money.
Earthly time equates to RV time. One can always find ways to conserve and or replenish their money however our earthly time is finite.
Don't spend too much time being frugal while the clock of life ticks away.
The price of gas and our future finances are not guaranteed.
More importantly Tomorrow is not guaranteed either.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably will see $5 gas in California but it is not likely in the rest of US. That has no relation to true prices. The days when big oil can charge whatever it wants is over. Cars and trucks are getting incredibly mileage. If we transition away from oil others will pick up any slack. Electric autos can and will fill the void. Solar and wind will help. At one time coal could never be replaced. Well guess what.

If things are that tight for you maybe you should limit your trip or choose another method of travel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.