RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Recommendation needed for first camper trailer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Recommendation needed for first camper trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you mentioned it's your first travel trailer, I'll tell you about my first travel trailer. I've made enough mistakes in my life to know that buying something for the first time is often problematic. So I went out looking for what I thought we would like, but used, and at a steal price. I found it, we towed it around a few thousand miles, put a few extras into it and sold it for precisely what we paid for it. All we lost was the electric tongue jack cost than the onboard EMS system. The camper we bought to replace it has been perfect for us for many years. Just something to consider.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep.

We started with a pop-up that we could tow easily with our Jeep. Perfect.

Until it wasn't.

Moved up to a hybrid that was within the limits of our Jeep, but was unstable as hell. Regretted it after our first trip.

Traded the Jeep for a Durango. Perfect for the hybrid, but the hybrid ultimately still wasn't perfect for us.

Traded the Durango and got a 3/4 ton. Never had to worry again about what we towed.

We then traded the hybrid for a 29' bunkhouse, and a year or so later traded the bunkhouse for a fifth wheel. Loved both.

Couple years down the road, traded the truck and fifth wheel for a motorhome. Really liked the motorhome especially while the kids were teens.

13 years later, motorhome gets totalled, and we're back to a truck and trailer because we're almost empty nesters, and I know we'll probably want another truck in a year or two.

Moral of the story.... get the right truck up-front and leave your options open because very few people find the right trailer on their first shot. We're on our sixth, and probably still not done.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

dwc2016

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a towing capacity worksheet at the following that may be of some help:

https://www.roadnotes.com/articles/towing-capacity-worksheet/

jpmyers

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first is a Highland Ridge SilverStar 38' TT. We're pulling with a ½ ton Chevy equipped with "MaxTow" and air bags. The truck performs well without hesitation. The TT, 6 months in, is a disappointment. The craftsmanship is shoddy to say the least. 90% of the material is barely minimal.
I've only moved it three times but I can't see it lasting through many more moves. I'm driving as though I'm hauling paper thin glass without padding. So far I don't see any signs of road related issues, just the interior showing how cheaply, and hastily, it was made.
FYI, our DOMETIC Stove/Oven has begun leaking from every conceivable connection, valve, and regulator. I have to think it was built on a Friday after lunch! At any rate, DOMETIC has a recall on this particular Stove/Oven. The sad thing about that is THEY WILL NOT ANSWER THE PHONE OR REPLY TO EMAILS!!! BAAAAAD BUSINESS FOLKS!!!

Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' Tag-A-Long
2020 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift air bags.

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed the last two years the exact trailer with a 2018 Canyon (gas motor) and its a dream. I am sure at times I am overloaded per numbers (1,470lbs on the door) but I would be in some half-ton trucks as well. The truck holds the weight well and at no time did I feel unsafe.

I've gone fully loaded (notice the rack on top of the truck bed) with 2 adults, 2 kids and a truck bed full of **** to the Adirondacks and highway driving.

Zero issues.

EDIT: For reference, this combination tows better and more comfortably than my F-250 with a 30BHDS did.

[image]

* This post was last edited 11/16/20 01:33pm by badercubed *   View edit history

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Recommendation needed for first camper trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.