|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Experience with Sprinter Class C's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Yes, but I do not have a source--it was about 18 months ago. They would not pay for rebuilding the injectors etc.

This is the case on any new vehicle. Vehicle warranties cover defects in the vehicle, not damage caused by bad fuel. It's true that bad fuel causes more damage in some vehicles than others though.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Yes, but I do not have a source--it was about 18 months ago. They would not pay for rebuilding the injectors etc.

This is the case on any new vehicle. Vehicle warranties cover defects in the vehicle, not damage caused by bad fuel. It's true that bad fuel causes more damage in some vehicles than others though.

Indeed. There is a very big difference between a warranty not covering problems caused by other than manufacturing problems, and a warranty being voided. In the first case, the company simply won't be covering things that are not their fault, no different than the warranty not causing collision damage. In the latter case, the company would claim that because you put the wrong fuel in the vehicle, no warranty claims at all would be considered, even if they had nothing to do with the fuel--a power window that died, for instance.

In the US, there are few if any legal situations where a car maker can actually void a warranty. They can't void it for your using aftermarket parts or making modifications or employing independent mechanics, though of course they can and frequently will deny coverage for any problems actually caused by such things.

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is interesting. I have a new Mercedes Sprinter RV (2018 Midwest Patriot by American Coach in a 2017 Mercedes body) and have been having power issues with the coach, not Mercedes installed parts or any engine issues, but this post does concern me for future repairs. I guess I will take it to the Mercedes dealership when I have issues and hope they are reasonable.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2006 GMC with a Duramax diesel engine, pre DEF. When diesel fuel lost much of the sulphur content it also lost much of its lubricity. That was important to the diesel engine fuel systems. Each tank full I add a few ounces of either Lucas fuel treatment,Opti lube or MM oil. Recently I fueled up at "pilot' and they are selling Bio-diesel. Well, 100 miles later I have a check engine light, a "water in fuel" warning ,that I have never seen before, and the truck was not performing as usual. A call to a diesel truck shop buddy and he recommended the Lucas top cylinder treatment be added to the fuel. I borrowed a scanner, erased the code and all is well. Bio-diesel, maybe being less expensive, is not my engine's friend. I personally would not own a MB diesel in a motorhome. The fuel savings are just not worth it. I did own a 85 five cylinder sedan and anything that had MB on it was costly to purchase.
i enjoyed reading the post about the 47 MB the poster owned and the stories concerning repairs. As far as the comments regarding how hard the machines were used, well, that's what they are designed for, to be used, run and run some more. A V-10 may inhale gas but it is easy to maintain, any one calling themselves a mechanic can maintain and parts readily available. Friends had 495K on one truck and over 300K on another. One truck was totaled so he gave me , and recommended I carry, a few different sensors and also some spare ignition coils.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Experience with Sprinter Class C's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.