RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Not Utilizing RV Parks or Boondocking

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Not Utilizing RV Parks or Boondocking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

We travel to enjoy ourselves, not to be cheapskates or risk our safety.

Funny that, one of the main reasons I tend to overnight in rest stops and such rather than a campground.

When I’m in transit I tend to pull long days broken up by short ‘stretch your legs’ breaks, fuel stops, meal breaks, etc. That means I’m not stopping for the day until sometime after 10pm and am always back on the road before 8am.

I would feel like a real heel disturbing a bunch of families trying to enjoy their vacation while I parked in a site equipped with services I neither want or need for a few hours sleep.

In 30+ years of doing this (probably a dozen nights a year I’ve never even heard of anyone doing so having any kind of problem.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Funny that, one of the main reasons I tend to overnight in rest stops and such rather than a campground.

When I’m in transit I tend to pull long days broken up by short ‘stretch your legs’ breaks, fuel stops, meal breaks, etc. That means I’m not stopping for the day until sometime after 10pm and am always back on the road before 8am.

I would feel like a real heel disturbing a bunch of families trying to enjoy their vacation while I parked in a site equipped with services I neither want or need for a few hours sleep.

In 30+ years of doing this (probably a dozen nights a year I’ve never even heard of anyone doing so having any kind of problem.

Well, if you're driving until after 10 pm and heading out again before 8 am, you're probably not on the 'trip enjoyment schedule' that I'm on. If I'm in that big of a hurry I like airplanes!! [emoticon]

No, we don't hear about a lot of problems boondocking, WalMart-ing, or rest stop-ing, but then again, not many problems of that type make national news. But believe me, they do exist.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Well, if you're driving until after 10 pm and heading out again before 8 am, you're probably not on the 'trip enjoyment schedule' that I'm on. If I'm in that big of a hurry I like airplanes!! .

No, I’m not, I’m on my way to fix airplanes or teach people how to fly them.

I’m also not ignorant or uncaring enough to disturb a bunch of people who ARE on ‘trip enjoyment schedule’.

When I’m in a real hurry I fly too. I REALLY like airplanes, that’s why I own so many of them!! LOL.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Well, if you're driving until after 10 pm and heading out again before 8 am, you're probably not on the 'trip enjoyment schedule' that I'm on. If I'm in that big of a hurry I like airplanes!! .

No, I’m not, I’m on my way to fix airplanes or teach people how to fly them.

I’m also not ignorant or uncaring enough to disturb a bunch of people who ARE on ‘trip enjoyment schedule’.

When I’m in a real hurry I fly too. I REALLY like airplanes, that’s why I own so many of them!! LOL.

Sure, to each his own. But driving 14-hour days, especially two or three in a row, would wear me out! Maybe you're a lot younger than I am!! [emoticon]

But as I see it, if you're going somewhere to fix airplanes or teach people to fly them, there's got to be an airport there, right? With so many many airplanes in your personal stable, I'd be chomping at the bit to fly everywhere, not beat myself up on the road. But as I've already stated, to each his own!

Happy travels.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Sure, to each his own. But driving 14-hour days, especially two or three in a row, would wear me out! Maybe you're a lot younger than I am!! [emoticon]

But as I see it, if you're going somewhere to fix airplanes or teach people to fly them, there's got to be an airport there, right? With so many many airplanes in your personal stable, I'd be chomping at the bit to fly everywhere, not beat myself up on the road. But as I've already stated, to each his own!

Happy travels.

If you had read my comment you would have noted that I said I take many breaks throughout the day, I’m ‘on the road’ for 14 to 18 hours a day, but am certainly not driving that whole time.

Yes, I’m always at an airstrip, but it’s often a private strip on someone’s own property or a very small local airport where I live in my motorhome. If I flew there I would be ‘stranded’ there with no vehicle or place to live. Sure I could rent a car, stay in hotel and eat in restaurants but a) that would only ramp up costs unnecessarily, and b) it’s not always practical, and c) I don’t want to do that.

Last fall I spent a week at a customers place, the nearest airport and motel were over an hours drive away.

But you were correct about flying at every chance I get.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jaxdad, ever think of installing RV living area in a plane? Flying RV?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm one of the "weird ones" I guess - on several trips, we drove our RV to motels. Why? Our conversion van and both truck campers didn't have A/C or showers, so we'd tend to hotel it, if we would have a hot humid night. When we'd get to a scenic (and cooler) area, then we'd camp at an RV park. I have no problem doing either.

I do have to admit, that while many hotels now allow pets, the upcharge per dog, is making camping look even better. Our current truck camper has a rear window that would allow an A/C installation, and for what we'd save on pet charges at hotels, I can install air conditioning and just camp all the way :-)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not really practical for any small planes due to weight and (to a somewhat lesser extent) space. A Cessna Caravan has a load capacity of about 3250 pounds (for both stuff and fuel), and a maximum fuel capacity of about 2250 pounds. A Twin Otter has a payload of about 5000 pounds, with a maximum fuel load of about 2500 pounds. These are probably about the closest you'd come to a "flying pickup truck" airplane, and both are much larger and use much more fuel than typical general aviation planes. Few if any (non-military) planes much larger than the twin otter are certified for single pilot operation.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just depends on the trip. But to answer what I think the original question was, which is, have we ever parked our 5th wheel in the parking lot and stayed in a hotel room, the answer is no. We don't have one as nice as we have to just go stay in a hotel room. Plus we have 3 dogs.

The decision on whether to take the 5er or stay in a hotel comes into play more for quick weekend trips somewhere (we leave the dogs at home for these, or only bring one). For that, we decide on what's cheaper. For example, in previous years, we like to drive to Laramie for UW football games and the drive is short enough where we can leave Saturday morning and still have the full day ahead of us there. We can get there faster and spend less on gas in a car. But often, hotel rooms on game nights can be $200+ a night, plus the extra funds to eat out for a few meals (vs in the camper we can bring our kitchen with us). So we weigh out which is cheaper... stay at a hotel or pay the $50-60 at the KOA and take the camper. One time, we went up there for a concert. For that trip, it was cheaper to stay at a hotel as the rates were lower than on game nights.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Yup! But but I’ve got so many better things to do with the best part of 2 million bucks.

The flying motorhome.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Not Utilizing RV Parks or Boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.