|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Keeping pets safe in travel trailer while “home alone”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they BARK when let alone?
*Sneak back and check on them

Do they have 'separation anxiety?
*are they wound-up/over exuberant when you come back home

How to they behave when left alone at home?

We traveled FT for 7 yrs with a Big Border Collie/Lab (78#)
She was high energy so when she was not going with us we took her for a brisk walk/ply time prior to us leaving
Then turned radio/TV on low for company and off she went to bed when we told her to 'Watch'

***Yes we have snuck back and check on her
***Yes we have spoken with neighbors and asked about her...that had no complaints and some were not even aware their was a dog in the RV

How your dogs behave NOW is most likely how they will behave in trailer
Barkers are NOT appreciated!

And this is NOT what you want to return to!
[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can do it safely and know whether they bark or not. We use a Cloud Cam camera which has video and audio. We have a temp stik that monitors temp and humidity. I have the camera wired into the inverter so if the power goes off we can still see, hear and if necessary talk to our dogs. The temp stik will let us know if the fiver is getting too hot since we have it set to check every 15 mins. The cloud cam is also positioned to show us a night light which will not burn if the cg lost power. Lastly we use a Verizon mifi which is not dependent on the cg's internet and is secure. All this info is monitored by our smart phones.

With all that being said, most of our trips without Lucky and Lucie are not over 30 mins away generally speaking. The longest we have stayed away was 3 hours and that was at a Triumph Quartet concert in P. Forge. We were only 30 mins with traffic away.

It can be done with today's technology safely.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've received good advice about monitoring systems! I had a large Aussie and a Cattle Dog when we drove to Alaska. Before we left them alone so we could take a 1/2-day Glacier Tour in Valdez, we walked them a LONG way. Miles. They were still passed out on our bed when we returned....LOL! They had learned to be good campers and didn't bark unless someone actually knocked on our door. They weren't crated because our small RV didn't have that kind of space (and they were old enough that they simply were good dogs) - but if you have the space, it's a good idea

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campinghoss@51 wrote:

Yes you can do it safely and know whether they bark or not. We use a Cloud Cam camera which has video and audio. We have a temp stik that monitors temp and humidity. I have the camera wired into the inverter so if the power goes off we can still see, hear and if necessary talk to our dogs. The temp stik will let us know if the fiver is getting too hot since we have it set to check every 15 mins. The cloud cam is also positioned to show us a night light which will not burn if the cg lost power. Lastly we use a Verizon mifi which is not dependent on the cg's internet and is secure. All this info is monitored by our smart phones.

With all that being said, most of our trips without Lucky and Lucie are not over 30 mins away generally speaking. The longest we have stayed away was 3 hours and that was at a Triumph Quartet concert in P. Forge. We were only 30 mins with traffic away.

It can be done with today's technology safely.

This is so helpful thank you!

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Do they BARK when let alone?
*Sneak back and check on them

Do they have 'separation anxiety?
*are they wound-up/over exuberant when you come back home

How to they behave when left alone at home?

We traveled FT for 7 yrs with a Big Border Collie/Lab (78#)
She was high energy so when she was not going with us we took her for a brisk walk/ply time prior to us leaving
Then turned radio/TV on low for company and off she went to bed when we told her
***Yes we have snuck back and check on her
***Yes we have spoken with neighbors and asked about her...that had no complaints and some were not even aware their was a dog in the RV

How your dogs behave NOW is most likely how they will behave in trailer
Barkers are NOT appreciated!

And this is NOT what you want to return to!
[image]

Thank you for these thoughtful questions. It will definitely be a lot of experimentation in the beginning and we plan to have video audio and temperature monitoring happening at all times. They are used to being home alone for several hours on a regular basis. They bark if someone comes to the door or if they see another dog out the window. We plan to bring them most everywhere with us, but there may be times when we want to grab a bite to eat or go for a swim etc. Thanks for all your advice!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have dogs. But to add, i would do a few dry runs in the driveway. Get the dogs used to the camper. Then get the dogs used to your leaving the camper for a bit. No real way to know how they will respond to a new environment unless you try it out first. Some will take to it well. Some will need to be trained a bit or learn the new system and some will not do it at all. Good luck !

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I dont have dogs. But to add, i would do a few dry runs in the driveway. Get the dogs used to the camper. Then get the dogs used to your leaving the camper for a bit. No real way to know how they will respond to a new environment unless you try it out first. Some will take to it well. Some will need to be trained a bit or learn the new system and some will not do it at all. Good luck !

100%

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always traveled with full size Collies. I never crate don't want large crates in the RV to deal with. None of my Collies have ever damaged anything in the RV's. Do you crate at home? Along with the A/C I run a fan. I leave the TV or radio on so outside noise is not as much of a distraction. I don't leave them alone for extended periods. They sleep when left alone in the RV. I usually just take the Collies with me when exploring the area but understand some areas it's not possible.

Now more controversy, I always leave my RV unlocked when gone with pets inside. If a fire would break out there would be a possibility of a rescue. A RV can burn to the ground in very little time.

I also give the campground my phone number if they need to contact me.

* This post was edited 11/12/20 05:36am by colliehauler *

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I have always traveled with full size Collies. I never crate don't want large crates in the RV to deal with. None of my Collies have ever damaged anything in the RV's. Do you crate at home? Along with the A/C I run a fan. I leave the TV or radio on so outside noise is not as much of a distraction. I don't leave them alone for extended periods. They sleep when left alone in the RV. I usually just take the Collies with me when exploring the area but understand some areas it's not possible.

Now more controversy, I always leave my RV unlocked when gone with pets inside. If a fire would break out there would be a possibility of a rescue. A RV can burn to the ground in very little time.

I also give the campground my phone number if they need to contact me.

This is smart I never thought about the fire issue!
We don’t crate at home anymore, used to when they were younger and they sometimes go it a crate to sleep by choice (it’s open and cozy).

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been traveling with a dog, or dogs for 30+ years...

Like already stated, how they react at home is usually how they will be in the RV... Take a drive, park away and sneak back to see what they are going....

Get a monitor and keep a watch..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Keeping pets safe in travel trailer while “home alone”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.