RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Road with uneven surfaces.......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road with uneven surfaces.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My SRW Ram 2500 just got new M&S E rated Michelins. Wow, How they wandered until they got broken in. As long as the road is graded even with a newer surface its a butter cake to steer, but when you get to old surfaces that tilt side to side you really have to compensate the wheel. I suppose you could call it tilt steer. I hate it the first couple hours on a new trip. After that I'm sort of automated about handling it and becomes a simple difference between loaded and unloaded.

Any you guys with Duals experience some degree of a top heavy feel while on older surfaces?

BTW, my camper weights around 3,000-3400 depending on the trip.

fpoole

PNW and Beyond

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I have RAM 5500 dually and got new tires and the first 200-300 miles or less, can't really remember it felt like the front end was floating...
Went back, they let a little air out of the front ones and it did better.. Now don't notice at all and ride/steers like normal. All this with camper on.
Don't know if I just got used to it or they corrected and started to wear the 'New-ness' down but good right now...
Hope that helps..

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F350 dually handles rock-solid with 6000 lb camper, but ordering for purpose of camper handling, I ordered RWD, so it is 3" lower than 4WD.
Before I had F250 and that handled lighter camper rock-solid as well.
What tire pressure do you use?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the same but I think the cause is the same for all of us. A few months ago I put new tires on my Suburban and it wandered all over the place and was downright scary to drive down the highway.

What I finally figured out is that tires all grip the road and handle differently. (Well I knew that part) Once you get used to how your tires handle you just instinctively or subconsciously move the steering wheel back and forth tiny bits as needed to keep straight in the lane. When you change lanes or take a corner you know how far to turn the wheel.

When you put new tires on you hit the road and your muscle memory tries to use the same little subconscious moves of the steering wheel and those slight moves are all wrong for your new tires. Couple that with the new tires not yet being broken in and you can get a downright scary ride for the first hundred miles or so.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The worst tires that I've had when it came to following ruts or any other pavement irregularities were Yokohama Geolander ATs.

My current Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tires are hands down the best tires I've had on my truck so far and they are set number six.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Chamber will affect tire loads on duals...that will cause tracking issues on uneven/tilted surfaces

[image]

Not as pronounced on SWR but suspension is under differing torque/loading so tacking is affected

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Old Biscuit, that's what I'm talking about. I call it 'tilt steer'.

When my tires were new I kept increasing the pressure in the front tires that's my mistake and took two 1400 mile trips before things settled down.

Perhaps another contributing cause is my Air Bags, which have separated air fills, are holding the suspension too high off the overload springs. In fact the overloads never touch the bump stops at all.

I need to figure something there to help with this.

Thank you all for the help too it's great.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those tires can be inflated anywhere from about 65 psi to 80 psi.
What psi do they have now? Have you experimented with changing tire pressure yet?

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

Those tires can be inflated anywhere from about 65 psi to 80 psi.
What psi do they have now? Have you experimented with changing tire pressure yet?

I've got the rears at 80 psi and the fronts at 70. It steers well, very straight when the surface is flat and not tilted.

Are there any good solutions to getting the overload springs back in action? Since putting on the airbags the rear is so well supported, but is not allowing use of the overload springs.

I am aware of using bump stops or supersprings on the overloads..... just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for either since one or the other might be a better option based on someone's experience.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use something like Torklift Stable Loads lowers to have the overload springs engage sooner and then also let some of the air out of the bags. You need the truck to settle a little when you put the camper on to have enough pressure on the spring packs. Over inflating the air bags is a common mistake.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road with uneven surfaces.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.