RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You winterize for that one time when it freezes enough/ long enough for pipes to freeze, so doesnt really matter one day or 90 days, but, BUT....

Some people never winterize and are fine when pipe freeze solid, yet some have pipes burst.
The PEX pipes do much better than any other pipe.
Plastic water tanks take a very long time to freeze and are able to expand some, I have seen people store a full fresh tank for years in freezing winters.

Up to you, there are risk no matter what advice you get...

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PEX probably isn't going to burst, but the plastic elbows and other fittings will if they happen to have enough water in them.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

PEX probably isn't going to burst, but the plastic elbows and other fittings will if they happen to have enough water in them.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice I have yet to see one crack. The elbows dont contain a lot of water, it is a very small diameter pipe inside so much less pressure than would be on a bigger inside dia pipe fitting. 3/8 pipe fittings are small, even 1/2 might be small enough, bigger ones I am sure would prob crack. Most RVs are 3/8 that I have seen.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is to notify new RV campers that pink RV antifreeze will freeze hard in winter time hard freezes. For instance like others I poured generous amount of antifreeze in my toilet bowel to stop the flush valve from drying out and the antifreeze froze solid one winter while RV was in storage in Reno, Nevada and yes the antifreeze is a 50/50 water mix. Just saying

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

This is to notify new RV campers that pink RV antifreeze will freeze hard in winter time hard freezes. For instance like others I poured generous amount of antifreeze in my toilet bowel to stop the flush valve from drying out and the antifreeze froze solid one winter while RV was in storage in Reno, Nevada and yes the antifreeze is a 50/50 water mix. Just saying
Did you have appreciable damage?

FlashBuddy

Fort Collins Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy some remote thermometers that will report temps to your smart device
https://amzn.to/3lwwMaJ

2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

No damage only stain from pink liquid. I did not use antifreeze in any other part of the trailer as I drained all water from tank and lines. antifreeze does not quickly evaporate like water is why I put it in toilet bowl.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

No damage only stain from pink liquid. I did not use antifreeze in any other part of the trailer as I drained all water from tank and lines. antifreeze does not quickly evaporate like water is why I put it in toilet bowl.

RV antifreeze is not supposed to be diluted with water. Yes, the antifreeze will get slushy or possibly even freeze, but it will not expand like water which is what damages plumbing components.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We winter camped in the Poconos for a number of years. Had our RV on a permanent site. The water at the site was turned off, so no water ran through out water pipes, which we had drained before the cold weather hit. We also made certain all plugs were left open. We did use the drains of the sinks, and also the toilet (used gallon bottles of water to flush). At the end of each weekend, we would dump at our sewered site, and after closing the levers drop a gallon of cheap windshield washer fluid down each drain and the toilet to protect the levers from freezing shut. It worked perfectly. We would never leave any chance for water to freeze in the pipes. We used a large 60 cup coffee maker for our hot water and a 2.5 gallon plastic jug with a petcock on it for our cold water needs. Worked like a charm.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It suck to live at an elevation where it gets into the 20's for 4 days out of 20. Some times I leave the heater on set at 50deg and sometime I just bite the bullet and winterize

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.