|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tranny overheated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People are asking the right questions, except for one.
How much weight are you towing? Burning up a transmission is the most common thing that happens with too much trailer and not enough truck.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All. Thanks for the replies. Answers a few questions / comments, no I did not check the trans temp as I don’t know how. Was just trying to get the family home and could not find it quickly on the dash. It did read “Transmission is too hot” when the light popped up though.
Addressing another question, it has about 26k miles and about 2 1/2 years old so should be under full warranty. Dropping it off later today. I have not even restarted it since I’ve been home so no idea as of now how it will behave.
Weather was about 75 degrees (Crazy for November in PA) and it was a typically interstate PA hill. No idea the grade but I am not talking about straight up. Probably 2- 3 mile pull where it did downshift for a while as it always does. Was traveling between 65-70 MPH and with the 4:10 I have no problem pulling them and maintaining speed typically. It was as if it had shifted to 3rd for the hill, then when I got to the top it shifted to 4th and the dash showed as if I had manually selected 4th. I held the + button like you would to go back to D. It showed D and then immediately shifts back to 4th as if manually selected. As noted, an engine restart “resets” it until it happens again. The last 2 miles I learned if I set it to 3rd so it never makes 4th I was OK to get home. This was ok because at this point all of my roads were 45mph or less.

Anyway, was just curious if anyone has seen this

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kfp673, what is the trim level of your 2018 Ram. On Big Horn on up you should be able to display the engine, trans, oil temps and oil pressure easily.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Kfp673, what is the trim level of your 2018 Ram. On Big Horn on up you should be able to display the engine, trans, oil temps and oil pressure easily.

Big Horn. Going out in a minute to drop it off at the dealer. I'll play more with the dash menus then. I'm sure the truck gods will make everything work perfectly and there will be no problem found ;-)

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 2014 Tradesman trim, and the tranny temp is displayed in the info center in the menu right above fuel economy (I can't remember what it's called)... the one that defaults to showing the tire pressure. So I'm sure it's available and not too deep in a bighorn trim.

My fingers are crossed for you!

CC

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hemi with a 68rfe??

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

A hemi with a 68rfe??

No

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently the code the truck provided was a bad solenoid. They come as a pack according to the dealer so they are replacing them all. The overheat likely came from being in 4th gear and starting from a stop so hopefully no major damage was done to the clutch or anything else. I pick it up tomorrow so fingers crossed that fixes the issue. Thanks again all!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Apparently the code the truck provided was a bad solenoid. They come as a pack according to the dealer so they are replacing them all. The overheat likely came from being in 4th gear and starting from a stop so hopefully no major damage was done to the clutch or anything else. I pick it up tomorrow so fingers crossed that fixes the issue. Thanks again all!

If the trans got that hot, did change the fluid?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was it really an overheat light or a generic transmission fault light?

+1 on changing the fluid sooner than later if it was truly an overheat condition.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tranny overheated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.