RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: My windshield nightmare.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> My windshield nightmare.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC6B wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

I'd have a auto glass company remove the glass and clean all of the old sealer off and see if the glass fits properly.
you will have to remove it anyway, give it a try.
I was told by the tech, "if they remove the windshield it will break".

Yes, in most cases, pulling a CORRECTLY SEALED and installed Windshield may break when removing. Since they failed to correctly seal/adhere the Glass, I doubt it will break. An Attorney will cost MORE than just paying for a new windshield. Your best bet is to have a good Shop remove and reinstall or if it breaks, install new glass. Then sue in small claims court for the cost of the correct repair. Also, contac your RV Insurance company to see if your coverage will pay for a new windshield. Doug

N6WT

Huasna Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

NC6B wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

I'd have a auto glass company remove the glass and clean all of the old sealer off and see if the glass fits properly.

Yes, in most cases, pulling a CORRECTLY SEALED and installed Windshield may break when removing. Since they failed to correctly seal/adhere the Glass, I doubt it will break. An Attorney will cost MORE than just paying for a new windshield. Your best bet is to have a good Shop remove and reinstall or if it breaks, install new glass. Then sue in small claims court for the cost of the correct repair. Also, contac your RV Insurance company to see if your coverage will pay for a new windshield. Doug
Doug
Thanks for this suggestion.

I have had an idea that I got from noteven. I will do an air pressure test. I can seal the area around the top of the windshield with heavy plastic I have. Then I will hook up my shop vac to blow air into it. I will then put soapy water on the outside to see if there are any leaks.

Kent
N6WT

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes they use a blower like you may have seen to dry carpet or you can use a blower out of a home heating & air cond unit. The blower can be made to blow
through a window or door that is sealed with plastic, cardboard, etc

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC6B wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

n
normal method to get the glass out is to break it..

you don't have to break it.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC6B wrote:

The latest on this.

I received a phone call from the glass company. They are going to blame the running lights. Even though when I put water on the windshield I make sure no water gets on the lights. I am looking for an attorney now and I am going to reseal the lights.

Kent
N6WT

Pressurize the interior with a fan and find the leak with soapy water.

N6WT

Huasna Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

NC6B wrote:

The latest on this.

I received a phone call from the glass company. They are going to blame the running lights. Even though when I put water on the windshield I make sure no water gets on the lights. I am looking for an attorney now and I am going to reseal the lights.

Kent
N6WT

Pressurize the interior with a fan and find the leak with soapy water.
I tried yesterday and could not get any positive results. Thanks!

Kent
N6WT

N6WT

Huasna Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had enough with this. I am working on a deadline. My wife and I will be moving into the motorhome in a few weeks while we are doing an 8 month remodel on our home. I need to get this done.

I called another glass place and they said they would do a water test. I'm taking it to them next week. If I have to take the windshield out and it breaks I'm going to send the other company the bill.

Kent
N6WT

2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver retiring in July 2016!
Ham call sign was NC6B now N6WT

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have missed something in this thread, but in my state the insurance company is required to replace cracked windshields free of charge. I have had 3 windshields replaced since owning the MH and there were no deductible or any other charges to pay. One leaked while on a trip after having it replaced at home and another company in TN. fixed the leak. I had to call the insurance company and go to one of their recommended facilities to have it covered.

N6WT

Huasna Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I may have missed something in this thread, but in my state the insurance company is required to replace cracked windshields free of charge. I have had 3 windshields replaced since owning the MH and there were no deductible or any other charges to pay. One leaked while on a trip after having it replaced at home and another company in TN. fixed the leak. I had to call the insurance company and go to one of their recommended facilities to have it covered.
I have not heard of this. However I have a different insurance company from 2017. Never the less I will call my insurance agent and see what they can do.

Thanks
Kent
N6WT

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Tx, I think it was that way or maybe the glass co just forgave the $50 deductible
But on the last windshield, they charged me the $50 saying it is required now.
I don't know if it is actually a law or just something the glass & insurance companies started doing. The girl in the office didn't know, didn't care either

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> My windshield nightmare.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.