|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> questions about rental RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eight is a lot of people for most RVs to accommodate comfortably. My class C in theory could sleep eight, but two on the jackknife sofa would be very tight unless they were young children (and even one on it is impractical if they're on the tall side). Even with that, it would be crowded for socializing, eating, etc.; the table can't fit more than four reasonably.

I'd suggest maybe having a tent or two for a few of the people. Some campgrounds might not permit eight persons on one site (though many will), and having the tent would also permit you to easily spread over two adjacent sites in such cases--and indeed even when not strictly needed.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eight people sharing one teeny tiny bathroom should be the highlight of the trip [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rented 3 times before purchase to make sure that we like it, we did. [emoticon]

The first rental was a class C, 31 ft. one slide, then a 38 ft. class A diesel with three slides and finally a 38 ft. class A diesel with four slides. (renting is not cheap!).

During the second rental, friends rented a 37 ft. class A gas. We all went to Sedona, AZ, from CA. Had the best time as we all had our own sleeping quarters.

Back to your rental....... the kids could sleep in sleeping bags, no need to try and find a unit that can sleep 8. Depending on the SUV/Van, the kids could camp in that for the night, I'm sure they would love their own space.

To me, it seems a large class C would work as the adults would have their private spaces, two in the bedroom and two in the loft and maybe two on the fold-out sofa.

Have you thought about renting two class C's? That way, everybody would have their own sleeping quarters. You could leave the SUV/Van at home if you were not going be touring during the day and just enjoying camping at your three travels stops.

Anyway, whatever you decide you will have a blast even though it will be crowded. [emoticon]

Safe travels,
MM.

* This post was edited 11/11/20 07:06am by Mr.Mark *

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Class C units they rent technically may sleep 6-8 but no way will it be even remotely comfortable.
- 2 people will have to climb up and sleep in the overhead...which typically has weight limits.
- 2 people will be in the converted dinnet which is usually on 5.5ft long so they need to be short.
- 2 people will have to cling to each other to fit on the sofa.
- 2 people will be hated for having the comfortable main bed.

For 8 people, either get 2 units or are some willing to tent it?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

yjc

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Eight is a lot of people for most RVs to accommodate comfortably. My class C in theory could sleep eight, but two on the jackknife sofa would be very tight unless they were young children (and even one on it is impractical if they're on the tall side). Even with that, it would be crowded for socializing, eating, etc.; the table can't fit more than four reasonably.

I'd suggest maybe having a tent or two for a few of the people. Some campgrounds might not permit eight persons on one site (though many will), and having the tent would also permit you to easily spread over two adjacent sites in such cases--and indeed even when not strictly needed.

thanks for the suggestion! I'll check with the RV parks to see if they allow tent camping at the same location.

yjc

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

We rented 3 times before purchase to make sure that we like it, we did. [emoticon]

The first rental was a class C, 31 ft. one slide, then a 38 ft. class A diesel with three slides and finally a 38 ft. class A diesel with four slides. (renting is not cheap!).

During the second rental, friends rented a 37 ft. class A gas. We all went to Sedona, AZ, from CA. Had the best time as we all had our own sleeping quarters.

Back to your rental....... the kids could sleep in sleeping bags, no need to try and find a unit that can sleep 8. Depending on the SUV/Van, the kids could camp in that for the night, I'm sure they would love their own space.

To me, it seems a large class C would work as the adults would have their private spaces, two in the bedroom and two in the loft and maybe two on the fold-out sofa.

Have you thought about renting two class C's? That way, everybody would have their own sleeping quarters. You could leave the SUV/Van at home if you were not going be touring during the day and just enjoying camping at your three travels stops.

Anyway, whatever you decide you will have a blast even though it will be crowded. [emoticon]

Safe travels,
MM.

Thanks for sharing! I've always thought I will try RV once my youngest finish highschool [emoticon] this will be my first time to try it. I've read some warnings about challenges of RVing.

We will be touring the park, where some roads are not suitable for RVs, that's why we decide to try one RV, and one SUV/Van.

looking at the floor plan of the largest RV that sleeps 7 offered by cruise-america, it doesn't look like there is enough floor space for the 8th person. it sounds that a tent is more feasible.

yjc

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The Class C units they rent technically may sleep 6-8 but no way will it be even remotely comfortable.
- 2 people will have to climb up and sleep in the overhead...which typically has weight limits.
- 2 people will be in the converted dinnet which is usually on 5.5ft long so they need to be short.
- 2 people will have to cling to each other to fit on the sofa.
- 2 people will be hated for having the comfortable main bed.

For 8 people, either get 2 units or are some willing to tent it?

Thanks for the detailed information! I understand it won't be comfortable, but it will only be for a week, if I can find a RV that sleeps 8. I'm finding out if tent camping next to the RV is allowed.

yjc

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Eight people sharing one teeny tiny bathroom should be the highlight of the trip [emoticon]

point well taken [emoticon]

an opportunity to educate the kids not everybody in the world has their own bathroom [emoticon]

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the RV to tow a small trailer. No way are you going to cram that many adults into a single RV for any extended time.
A huge toyhauler has more sleeping capacity than any Class A.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you do this trip, you might try to get hold of my favorite RV movie ever, "Rolling Family."

video trailer

[image]

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> questions about rental RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.