|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Propane Tanks Direction

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that’s interesting. Honestly, since so many trailer propane cylinders seem to be covered these days, I wouldn’t know which direction most of them face anymore. Back when they were uncovered, I don’t think I ever saw any not facing forwards.

As far as the cover being required, I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Maybe a NFPA or NPGA publication.

If it’s common now to face the cylinders so that the regulator is close to the trailer, that might explain why there seems to be so much pushback to using the auto-switch regulators with both valves open. If you make checking the indicator difficult, it’s probably not going to be checked very often.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cylinders face forward, but the cover comes off hard as I have added batteries and the battery boxes come too close to the propane cover. I like to check which cylinder is being used without having to take the cover off, so I keep a small camping mirror in the front pass through so I can see the regulator through the top lid. Might work for back facing cylinders, too.

[image]

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched mine around. What good is an auto changeover if I can't see what is going on.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My automatic switchover regulator is mounted on the front of the TT with the tank outlet facing the TT also. It allows for a shorter hose and I can see which tank the regulator is drawing gas from and when a tank is empty. My tanks are both on because that is why I bought the auto switch regulator. Why have the regulator is the second tank is turned off.
Before pulling out EVERY DAY we do a pre-trip inspection of the TT. We BOTH check the hitch, safety chains, electrical hook-ups, LP tanks, awning, access doors, tires, entry door locks, 120 volt cord, sewage drains. refrigerator, etc. It takes us about 5 minutes but it gets done every morning. We have over the years, we have found something that could cause problems while on the way. We also pick up every scrap of litter from our campsite before we pull away. My kids also follow the same routine.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems single tanks are rarely covered. Dual 20s & 30s usually are. Hard covers are made for single 20, dual 20, and dual 30. Soft covers can had for most all. I swapped out my single 20 for a single 30 to avoid the hassle & cost of mounting a new dual mount and gas hardware. Searched and searched for a single 30 hard cover, no joy.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

I have 40lb tanks without cover because there aren't any made if they are made, somebody plz provide a link.

I had thought of going from 30 to 40 lb cylinders and looked, but never found any hard covers, only soft covers. I wound up buying 2 more 30 lb cylinders instead.

I have seen where someone made one out of 2 separate covers. They trimmed the bottom portion off of one and cut the top portion off the other and pop riveted them together where they left an area that overlapped. You just have to make sure you pop rivet from the inside around the area that touches the cylinders. Maybe add a piece of eternabond on each rivit head so it doesn't rub on the cylinders.

40 lb cylinders soft covers

* This post was edited 11/13/20 04:14pm by mobeewan *

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

My automatic switchover regulator is mounted on the front of the TT with the tank outlet facing the TT also. It allows for a shorter hose and I can see which tank the regulator is drawing gas from and when a tank is empty. My tanks are both on because that is why I bought the auto switch regulator. Why have the regulator is the second tank is turned off.
Before pulling out EVERY DAY we do a pre-trip inspection of the TT. We BOTH check the hitch, safety chains, electrical hook-ups, LP tanks, awning, access doors, tires, entry door locks, 120 volt cord, sewage drains. refrigerator, etc. It takes us about 5 minutes but it gets done every morning. We have over the years, we have found something that could cause problems while on the way. We also pick up every scrap of litter from our campsite before we pull away. My kids also follow the same routine.

And taillights. I always check them to make sure they work. If I didn't with my luck one would be out and the minute I pull out a cop would get behind me, notice one of the lights out, and give me a ticket.

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the hose from the trailer to the regulator long enough to flip the tanks with valves facing forward? Mine isn’t and neither of my sons are.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine face forward as shown here, when I put a lock on the tanks

I've never seen them face the other way in all my years of RVing.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Mine face forward as shown here, when I put a lock on the tanks

I've never seen them face the other way in all my years of RVing.

3 of the 4 TT I've had have them faceing backwards. The 4th one only had one tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Propane Tanks Direction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.