RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Reliability of older Class C’s?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Reliability of older Class C’s?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tortiemctortiepants

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted this as a question within another thread/topic, but thought that it may make more sense to post it as it’s own specific topic in the Class C section...

I am considering a Class C for a cross country trip from VA to WA, but most that I am finding in my price range are older (1980s/90s/early 2000s)... Given low miles and no major current issues upon inspection, are these generally reliable enough to be trusted for a cross country trip? I am feeling the need to be extra careful as I will be traveling as a lone woman (not including the several pets along for the ride).

Are there any makes/models that have a particularly good reputation for longevity? Or conversely any that I should avoid?

Would it be better to absolutely find a newer model? And if so, from what year on would be best?

Thank you so much!! I welcome any and all advice!!

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newer, the better. The late '90s and early 2000s Ford chassis were and still are very reliable. The GM chassis are equally so but not quite as common. Of course, this is predicated on wear items like tires, brakes, belts, hoses, fluids, etc being thoroughly checked and replaced as needed. For RVs this old, however, the condition of the "house" portion is probably more important to consider than mileage on the vehicle. Most motorhomes this old will have leaked at some point, which is not a deal killer as long as the leak was properly fixed and any water damage addressed. But major water damage issues are very common and easily hidden from the untrained eye. Buyer beware.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid Ford Chassis between 1998 to 2004 due to spark plug issues.

Be prepared to replace the tires, fan belts, and chassis hoses.

Look for water damage to the "house"

Look harder for water damage.

LOOK EVEN HARDER FOR WATER DAMAGE.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you qualified to inspect the chassis and the house? If not an RV that old needs two pros inspecting head to tail, top to underneath.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Pay someone to change the plugs !

pianotuna wrote:

Be prepared to replace the tires, fan belts, and chassis parts, hoses.

Concur, especially on the last three ! [emoticon]

IMHO, anything over 10 years old needs a new roof. Not just a coating, but peel off the rubber membrane, inspect for rot and replace.

* This post was edited 11/15/20 06:53am by theoldwizard1 *

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is any way to get a "mechanical inspection" done before paying for it, do that. Next, try for an RV expert to check the House side so you know what you must fix for what money, or can live without fixing.

Assuming you can afford whatever the mechanical inspection reveals, once fixed, it should be no more of a risk than any vehicle for cross-country.

Make sure you have Good Sam Road Side or equivalent!!!! That is key for your scenario.

the House side is a mix of must have working and things you can live with not working. Some are easy fixes, some appliance repairs can be expensive when they can't find the problem right away.

You can have "car trouble" with any age of vehicle. For a cross-country all you need is road-side insurance and a Visa card with a huge credit limit. Also a cell phone with no time limit when the road side insurance puts you on hold while they find you some help.

You need to be able to house your pets too, if the MH is in the garage over a weekend someplace along the way. Some motels will, some won't.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stay away from an older motorized rv. Previously i leased a 1500 pickup and bought a small travel trailer which could easily be towed without adding any special equipment other than a hitch.
You gain a new reliable vehicle and an rv that is less expensive to maintain than a motorhome
If the trailer does have some kind of repair issue you simply bring along a tent. Tents are pet friendly.
After your lease is up in 24 or 36 months then you might be in a better position to afford something different.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theres places that rent rv,s might be the cheapest,,less exspensive way to go.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

We bought a new E-450 in 2001 and used until 2015. Never had any spark plug problem, nor any other real problems.

Dusty

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

We bought a new E-450 in 2001 and used until 2015. Never had any spark plug problem, nor any other real problems.

Dusty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Reliability of older Class C’s?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.