|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marker lights to led marker lights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Easy project, which I documented here when I did this on my Nash 17k

I've done the same upgrade.

The marker lights I used are these

Bob

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Class C was older and the fixtures were not in good condition so I replaced all of my marker lights and turn/brake/backup lights with new fixtures. The improvement was huge. I bought my replacements form etrailer. Make sure that you seal everything with butyl tape and test them for leaks if possible.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of changing all the lights INSIDE my trailer to LEDs. Doing this to conserve battery when out boondocking. I am going through LED for RV. Great help, answers to all my questions and they stand behind their products.

I asked him about exterior lights and he pointed out the fact that if the lights work, you probably should stick with them. There is no energy savings since your running lights run off the TV generating capacity and not your trailer battery.

If you are not happy with what you have then that is another story. You can change out the bulbs or replacing the fixtures. Talk to Dan at LED4RVS and he can guide you.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did that. Just make sure to test the wiring +/-. Incandescent can work either direction. LED only one direction or current flow.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I question if changing the marker lights to brighter ones would have any effect on safety. brake lights possibly but not meaningful for the effort and cost involved.
bumpy

LEDs don't wash out in direct sun like incandescent housings, especially the ones popular on RVs.

I had one super foggy trip over the blue mountains once on I-84, and taillights weren't visible. Everybody had 4-way flashers on. Incandescents were barely visible within a car-length, but the trucks with LEDs were visible for 2-3x that distance.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed out my marker lights and found nice ones with correct hole spacing on superbrightled.com. I read once about the light-up time of LEDs compared to incandescent; the LEDs were milliseconds quicker which really made a distance difference when going 70 MPH. May keep you from getting hit from the rear as the LEDs light up faster.

I just replaced the cab clearance lights on my truck to LED. They look good and are definitely brighter.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I changed out my marker lights and found nice ones with correct hole spacing on superbrightled.com. I read once about the light-up time of LEDs compared to incandescent; the LEDs were milliseconds quicker which really made a distance difference when going 70 MPH. May keep you from getting hit from the rear as the LEDs light up faster.

I just replaced the cab clearance lights on my truck to LED. They look good and are definitely brighter.

so your marker lights work as stop lights? good thing they light up a millisecond quicker.
bumpy

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

so your marker lights work as stop lights?

No,Marker lights aren't stop lights. No where in his post did he say anything to that effect.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

No,Marker lights aren't stop lights. No where in his post did he say anything to that effect.

here

If I was worried about folks rear ending me, I think I would easily install some large LED center and eye level light and not worry about the "marker" lights.
bumpy

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

here

If I was worried about folks rear ending me, I think I would easily install some large LED center and eye level light and not worry about the "marker" lights.
bumpy

[emoticon]

Bumpy, why your "hate" on LEDs?

Bumpy, I think you are "splitting hairs" AND reading in what you want the poster to say.

I believe the INTENTION (of the poster that you quoted) was to INDICATE that LEDs ARE faster "TURN ON" but they (the poster of the text you quoted) ONLY changed their "marker lights".

BUT (the poster of the text you quoted said something more like), IF THEY WAS WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE REAR ENDING THEM, THE POSTER (you quoted) RECOMMENDS UPGRADING TO LED TAIL LIGHTS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT MARKERS.

Bumpy, is that "better"? Can you understand the poster of the text you quoted thoughts better? I hope so, nothing like teaching at a first grade level that not everything needs to be taken in a literal sense. Written text (like this forum) sometimes can be tricky to get a point across accurately and not "everyone" must be spoon fed and have every word or though justified and fully explained.

With that, I do agree (with the poster that you quoted), LED Tailights can be a game changer, markers not so much.

I replaced both because my rig was 30+ yrs old, half the original markers had broken/missing covers and I was hoping to get rid of the incandescent bulb hassle of corroding sockets. Sadly, though, not all LEDs have long lives and I have had to rebuild LED markers and have had to replace 3 out of four Bargman tail lights.

I do agree that LED tail lights are far, far superior in brightness. Have traveled hundreds of thousands of miles commuting to work daily, have seen many, many RVs that the tail lights were extremely difficult to tell if they were lit up during daylight use..

Standard incadescent tail lights are poorly designed with minimal lighting (IE subpar).. But you won't fully understand that until you find yourself clamping the irons on to avoid totaling your own RV and the RV ahead of you..

I wish EVERY RV owner would at least change out the Factory OEM tail lights and opt for much brighter aftermarket LEDs.. Keeps them safer, keeps me safer and keeps YOU much safer if at a min the tail lights can be seen in full bright sunlight.

One word of caution, replacing the incadescent lights in the old fixture may or may not be as good of an upgrade. The optics are different with LEDs since they spread much differently than incadescent so you may need to experiment with different designs of LEDs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marker lights to led marker lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.