|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marker lights to led marker lights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am with Bumpy on this. I do not hate LEDs. I am spending money to upgrade my coach to save battery drain. I do not like the "bright" options. My wife says she does not want to deal with gymnasium light intensity inside. I know, there are options and we found some good ones. People like LEDs, I get it. They are expensive in comparison and it is human nature to want to exaggerate their benefits. When the previous poster said they are "milliseconds" faster to come on and somehow that gave a safety advantage I actually snorted in amazement. Good thing I wasn't drinking a milkshake at the time.
As in all things regarding trailers, hitches, tow vehicles and now LED lights, we believe that ours is better. So have at it. I thought Bumpy pointed out the silliness in what was posted. Don't jump on him because you think he didn't intrepret what the poster really meant. If you don't mean it, don't say it.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer, posted this

#1Bumpy, I think you are "splitting hairs" AND reading in what you want the poster to say.#1

#2BUT (the poster of the text you quoted said something more like), IF THEY WAS WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE REAR ENDING THEM, THE POSTER (you quoted) RECOMMENDS UPGRADING TO LED TAIL LIGHTS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT MARKERS.#2

Bumpy, is that "better"? Can you understand the poster of the text you quoted thoughts better? I hope so, nothing like teaching at a first grade level that not everything needs to be taken in a literal sense. Written text (like this forum) sometimes can be tricky to get a point across accurately and not "everyone" must be spoon fed and have every word or though justified and fully explained.

#1, You claim that he is reading in what you want the poster to say. Wow, go back and read the OP. Bumpy simply restated what the guy ACTUALLY said!

#2, This is an unbelievable statement, especially in light of what you accused Bumpy to have just done. "He said something more like this"? What? He said nothing of the sort. You, on the other hand, just violated the rule that you accused Bumpy of doing. YOU are the one who is "reading in what you want the poster to say". Again, go back and read the actual words he posted. Don't make any up...just read what he said.

I am glad that you learned your first grade lesson. If you were to have made it to a high school English class you might have also learned that writing should be clear and concise, factual and compelling. There is room for subtly, but that should never be used an informative forum like this.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

I am glad that you learned your first grade lesson. If you were to have made it to a high school English class you might have also learned that writing should be clear and concise, factual and compelling. There is room for subtly, but that should never be used an informative forum like this.

Well obviously, bumpy didn't understand were the post he reposted was going. I just put that information into order and added some missing info to satisfy and make it clearer to Bumpy.

Obviously, now days one has to be smart enough to "fill in" some skipped portions of missing (INFERRED) information from the entire post using your knowledge and your own brains.

While the text Bumpy quoted was a bit broken up, out of order and perhaps a few parts missing and open to interpretation, Bumpy took it in a literal sense and most likely not in the sense that the poster meant..

Using that text Bumpy quoted then pointing out that the poster he quoted had "flaws" wasn't very nice at all and did not really "contribute"..

Nor does your quote of my text "contribute" and was rather petty and hostile..

No wonder why there are a lot of one and done posters that never come back after asking a legit question..

Now, perhaps move back on subject?

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My post is perfectly clear to anyone except those that choose to be only argumentative. I offered information to the OP that I thought was pertinent to his post. Trying to translate my comment on brake light illumination times to marker lights is just childish.

Time for some numbers in an ongoing effort to help the OP which some have no interest in doing. Delphi estimates 37% to 74% of rear end accidents could be eliminated with a 500 millisecond early warning. LEDs light up 200ms faster than incandescent. This translates to 19.1 feet at 65 MPH. I'll take a truck's length safety margin by changing lights to LEDs every time.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I question towing the trailer at 70 mph also.
bumpy

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changed all mine out. Big improvement.
Amazon!

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry folks, didn't mean to start all of this. I do agree that the LED lights inside are too bright, I do prefer the softer regular lights for inside (just my preference). As a retired trucker, I would like LEDs outside. Thanks for all the input.

2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marker lights on a Thor I have sitting in my shop had #194 lamps in it. I ended up using bulbs from SuperbrightLED to replace them.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo........it-30-lumens/2485/874/#/attributes/10837

[image]

They worked well for the purpose. I normally use LED's from M4Products, in fact that is all I use, but I could not find something I liked for the clearance lights and ended up with the SuperbrightLED ones. I tested them by jumpering the power to running light contacts ont he trailer 7 pin connector using a turn signal flasher and let them flash for a couple of days to prove out that they all worked. Each bulb in the link uses 5 LEDs so the light scatter under the lens is good.

Charles

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

My post is perfectly clear to anyone except those that choose to be only argumentative. I offered information to the OP that I thought was pertinent to his post. Trying to translate my comment on brake light illumination times to marker lights is just childish.

Time for some numbers in an ongoing effort to help the OP which some have no interest in doing. Delphi estimates 37% to 74% of rear end accidents could be eliminated with a 500 millisecond early warning. LEDs light up 200ms faster than incandescent. This translates to 19.1 feet at 65 MPH. I'll take a truck's length safety margin by changing lights to LEDs every time.

Makes sense to me. Other thing that helps for vehicles with a high center mounted brake light is a rapid flash device that inserts in the wiring to it. I do not have one, but have seen them (lots of motorcycles use them) and they really do grab the attention of drivers behind. Many are programmed to flash three or four times quickly and then stay on steady.

I do understand this thread is about marker lights, but the other info is useful also.

I am huge on rear visibility. I have an old '91 Ranger pickup. For years it was my primary vehicle and I found that going to work on the interstate in the mornings before daylight, people would run up on me like they didn't see me (new bulbs, clean lenses and all). The Ranger has taillights but not the best I suppose. I finally added some DOT tape to the rear bumper and the difference was amazing. Good DOT tape is worth every cent. There is some not so good out there too.

On the Back of my Bigfoot trailer I replaced the Bargman backup light/reflector with their 13 LED replacement, great light for backing into a site after dark (never do that, but be prepared) and in doing so I lost the rear reflectors that were combined with the backup light. So I added DOT tape to the bumper and also some Grote rectangular reflectors under the taillights.

If I get a chance I will post a couple of pics.

Charles

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 80 years old and wear glasses. I have no problems seeing regular brake/clearance lights.
However some LED brake lights are so bright they make turn signals almost impossible to see depending on the where the turn signals are located w/i the fixture.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marker lights to led marker lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.