|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> West coast - Washington to Mexico...starting October 1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

The Shasta area is on I-5. OP, I thought you wanted to take the coast route which is US 101?

I didn't bring up Shasta.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb mentioned it in their post. Just for info Siskiyou mountain area can get nasty from Grants Pass Or to Redding,CA on I-5

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Tom/Barb mentioned it in their post. Just for info Siskiyou mountain area can get nasty from Grants Pass Or to Redding,CA on I-5

Just to Quote
"What are the likelihood of snow along the route in October and does it tend to hang around once it's there. No issues waiting a few days for an early snow to melt off but we don't want to feel "

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the post I was referencing,
" Oct/Nov altitude is not your friend,, stay low as you can. Shasta can snow that time of year, but it is rare, and won't stay on long."

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

One plan is to head west and arrive at Olympic NP around October 1 and then gradually work our way south along the coastal route over the next month.

Puzzling responses. Did someone move Shasta to the coast?

Years ago (1999?) we started in Victoria, BC and took 101 all the way south to Ventura. What a gorgeous drive. I've driven up to Eureka on the 101 plenty of times, but that was the first time we drove all the way through Washington and Oregon.

I'd hate to say "never", but it's pretty safe to say there won't ever be snow along the coast that time of year. (Never.)

The 101 is a good drive from top to bottom. There will be traffic in the major cities, but you really only have to worry about it going through SF and LA. The rest is pretty light.

There's so much to see along the way.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few things to add:

Highway 101 is the only coastal option until you reach Leggett. If possible, take Avenue of the Giants some miles north of Leggett which runs parallel to Highway 101. I've rode in flat bed tow truck that managed well enough with our SUV strapped in...you're probably not going to make every corner, so monitor on-coming traffic, pull out when needed, etc. It's worth it if you can "fit." He just drove it like we're playing Grand Theft Auto and figured if a flat bed tow truck is barreling down on YOU, you will move...they did.

From the turn off at Leggett to the coast is one of the best stretches of Highway 1 when it comes to motorcycling. RV'ing...ummmmmm...yah, challenging. I've seen a few firetrucks (30ft) go through there. It's also not well traveled, so again just monitor and manage accordingly. Alternatively you can always link up to Highway 1 through any of the roads that run perpendicular; however, they, too, are curvy. Honestly unless you took 20, I'd avoid the other roads that link Highway 101 to Highway 1.

Once you get to the coast from the Leggett turn off, it's fine. You won't have another issue with exceptionally curvy roads until you reach Big Sur with some minor exceptions. There are only a handful of switchbacks along the way.

(Yes, San Fran. is a mess, and others have addressed what you could do there.)

Big Sur - the section here isn't that long, but there are some windy areas and some curvy areas. With that said, I have seen dozens and dozens of all sorts of RV's through there. The only thing I'll say here - monitor traffic behind you, and use pull outs as needed. Don't be "that guy."

Past Ragged Point, Highway 1 is fine the rest of the way south.

Highway 101 thoughts - While beautiful up North, you lose the beauty soon thereafter. You'll be driving alongside large cities if you take Highway 101 the entire way. If you are just trying to get from Point A to Point B, Highway 101 is fine. If you want to enjoy looking out the window, work out a route that keeps you along Highway 1 the majority of the way.

Anyways, as a "local" I thought I would provide another perspective. #introductorypost : )

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> West coast - Washington to Mexico...starting October 1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.