|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SonnieP

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are looking for a fifth wheel we can pull with our 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab... 5.8 eTorque, 4x4 with 3.90 gear... supposedly can pull close to 12K.

We have been looking at the Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES and the Jayco Eagle HT 24RE... somewhat similar in floorplan that we like, and keeping the price under $40K. Have not really looked much elsewhere, but would be open to suggestions.

I did not want to post this in one of the brand forums because it might not be fair to one brand over the other.

I was unable to find out much about how the Keystone is built, but Jayco puts a good bit of info on their site about the features of their units. I like the idea of the Nev-R-Adjust® Brakes that the Jayco has... their Laminated Wall Construction... ClimateShield... and the fully enclosed and heated underbelly. Keystone may have similar features, but apparently not as advertised, with the exception of ClimateGuard.

The reviews are somewhat of a "wow"... could not believe all the poor reviews I am reading of both brands. There does seem to be more poor reviews for Keystone than Jayco, although it seems like each have their share of issues.

Curious if anyone has these particular units, or maybe if I can simply hear from owners of these brands and/or models.

No offense, but not knowing what participation and ownership of these models is like in the various RV forums, you may see this cross posted in another forum.

Regards,
Sonnie

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your F150 RAWR??

Truck rear axle and tires CARRY the pin weight of 5th wheel

Difference between the trucks 'camp ready weight on rear axle and the RAWR will give you how much additional weight the Rear Axle can Carry.....stuff/hitch/WET Pin weight ~22% of trailer GVWR)

Do the math

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fifth wheel = HD Truck don't let the salesman tell you otherwise. That's a one ton truck a 350 or 3500

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum Sonnie!

Like mentioned above, towing a FW with your Ram 1500 may not be as simple as 12K towing capability. While both FWs are suggested to be 1/2 ton towable, they have a 1,500 DRY HITCH WT, that can easily become 2K loaded to camp hitch wt. Many 1/2 ton CC trucks will not have enough RAWR to carry a 2K hitch wt, plus heavy hitch in bed.

You need to weigh your truck axles separately, with all gear, people, pets, and full fuel, and add weight of hitch choice. If your rear axle weighs 2,600, and your RAWR is 3,900, you only have 1,300 lbs to add to rear axle.

What are your tires rated to carry? The RAWR is figured from the weakest link, in your case, likely springs.

Things that can help...air bags, tires with higher rating, a light wt hitch, such as the Andersen for rail use.

With a CC truck and 6' bed, you may have trouble with FW front hitting cab. You cannot use most sliding hitches, that will weigh 300 lbs. Some 1/2 ton towables come with a rotating pin box, such as a sidewinder.

Can you make your truck work, with some FWs? Maybe, but agree, watch the numbers closely, and continue to ask questions on this forum.

I like the large fresh water tank on the Jayco, but does add lots of wt!

Jerry

SonnieP

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RAWR is 4100.

My door label shows 1162lb payload, so I don't think I'd be able to pull any 5th wheel, unless I'm missing something.

The Jayco we were admiring is as follows:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 7980
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1495
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 9995
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) 12995
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2015

I think we'd be asking for trouble.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SonnieP wrote:

My RAWR is 4100.

My door label shows 1162lb payload, so I don't think I'd be able to pull any 5th wheel, unless I'm missing something.

The Jayco we were admiring is as follows:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 7980
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1495
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 9995
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) 12995
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2015

I think we'd be asking for trouble.

You are not missing anything, glad to see that you are rational unlike some others asking the same question. Get a travel trailer.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SonnieP wrote:

My wife and I are looking for a fifth wheel we can pull with our 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab... 5.8 eTorque, 4x4 with 3.90 gear... supposedly can pull close to 12K.

We have been looking at the Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES and the Jayco Eagle HT 24RE... somewhat similar in floorplan that we like, and keeping the price under $40K. Have not really looked much elsewhere, but would be open to suggestions.

I did not want to post this in one of the brand forums because it might not be fair to one brand over the other.

I was unable to find out much about how the Keystone is built, but Jayco puts a good bit of info on their site about the features of their units. I like the idea of the Nev-R-Adjust® Brakes that the Jayco has... their Laminated Wall Construction... ClimateShield... and the fully enclosed and heated underbelly. Keystone may have similar features, but apparently not as advertised, with the exception of ClimateGuard.

The reviews are somewhat of a "wow"... could not believe all the poor reviews I am reading of both brands. There does seem to be more poor reviews for Keystone than Jayco, although it seems like each have their share of issues.

Curious if anyone has these particular units, or maybe if I can simply hear from owners of these brands and/or models.

No offense, but not knowing what participation and ownership of these models is like in the various RV forums, you may see this cross posted in another forum.

Regards,
Sonnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Fifth wheel = HD Truck don't let the salesman tell you otherwise. That's a one ton truck a 350 or 3500

Fifth wheel dues not always mean 1 ton truck. 3/4 is fine for most smaller, lighter fivers. I wouldn't pull a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton though, Especially not a 5.8l gasser. I have a 2007 ram 2500 6.7l. Pulls my 10k loaded fiver great.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if you ignored the low payload number you would still exceed the rawr with just about any fifth wheel. Half ton trucks are not designed to tow fivers, regardless of its tow rating.

This is a perfect case of how ridiculous manufacturers tow ratings have become. A 12k rating is useless when you only have 1100lbs of payload. You'll be pushing the ratings with the tongue weight of a similar sized (25’) bumper pull trailer too.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

SonnieP

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep... my wife and I both said we can wait a few years. It would mean wasting more money that is feasible at this point. I trade trucks about every 2-3 years, and it's moving along pretty fast at this point in life.

I had suspicions... this confirms them.

Regards,
Sonnie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.