|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Fifth wheel = HD Truck don't let the salesman tell you otherwise. That's a one ton truck a 350 or 3500

Fifth wheel dues not always mean 1 ton truck. 3/4 is fine for most smaller, lighter fivers. I wouldn't pull a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton though, Especially not a 5.8l gasser. I have a 2007 ram 2500 6.7l. Pulls my 10k loaded fiver great.

Yeah but the price difference is minor compared to the price of a new truck. So you may as well get a one ton.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SonnieP wrote:

Yep... my wife and I both said we can wait a few years. It would mean wasting more money that is feasible at this point. I trade trucks about every 2-3 years, and it's moving along pretty fast at this point in life.

I had suspicions... this confirms them.

Regards,
Sonnie

Yes, a HD truck is what you need for an enjoyable safe tow. Some half tons work better than others, and many use them to tow FWs. Your 4,100 RAWR is better than some, but you just have no payload for much more than passengers, and a small TT.

A 2500 Ram will handle many FWs, and still have a comfy ride. Your truck will be easy to trade, when you are ready.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAM 1500s and fifth wheels don’t mix...half ton Chevys and Fords too.

“Why, son, you can pull any fifth wheel on this lot with that big 1500. Honest!”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Even if you ignored the low payload number you would still exceed the rawr with just about any fifth wheel. Half ton trucks are not designed to tow fivers, regardless of its tow rating.

This is a perfect case of how ridiculous manufacturers tow ratings have become. A 12k rating is useless when you only have 1100lbs of payload. You'll be pushing the ratings with the tongue weight of a similar sized (25’) bumper pull trailer too.

With that payload, you aren't towing much of anything and staying even remotely in the ratings.

A family of 4 is likely going to eat up 500lb...leaving 600lb for everything else including any gear in the truck, running boards, etc... If you stripped everything out of the truck and put the family on a diet... and found 500lb for the hitch weight, that puts you in the 4000lb (FULLY LOADED) weight range for a travel trailer (5th wheel would be worse as it has a higher percentage for hitch weight)...so probably 2500lb empty weight single axle trailer.

At 12,000lb, you will be massively over multiple ratings.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very simply NO 1/2 is a good tow vehicle. 1/2 ton trucks are grocery getters and some yard supplies at the big box store. You want to tow get a 3/4 ton or larger.
Hers some reading on the topic: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/16409........wing-with-an-f-150-a-3.html#post19579779

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

...Half ton trucks are not designed to tow fivers, regardless of its tow rating...

Edd505 wrote:

Very simply NO 1/2 is a good tow vehicle. 1/2 ton trucks are grocery getters and some yard supplies at the big box store...
Totally bogus statements. I can easily tow a 8000 lbs fifth wheel with my half ton and still be within all its ratings.

[image] [image]

Vin Position 5,6,&7 (W1E) = F150 4X4 Supercrew
Vin Guide

* This post was last edited 11/16/20 08:24am by wing_zealot *   View edit history

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'll say that half ton trucks with the max tow package are perfectly fine to pull a travel trailer of reasonable size. But not a fiver, Unhappily your truck does not have the max tow packages so you are stuck with popups and very small trailers. Popups are fine for SHORT trips of a week or less. We went thru 3 of them at the beginning of our RV life. Bad weather in a popup is flat out miserable tho.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 1/2 ton truck is severely limited as for towing by the rear axle GAWR and the payload capacity. The payload capacity included the trailer pin weight, hitch weight, passenger and cargo. A typical 5er will have a loaded pin weight of about 20% of the trailer GVWR. So if your trailer has a GVWR of 8000#, the loaded pin weight will be about 1600#. A short bed truck should have a slider hitch, so add another 200# to the bed. Add 2 kids and a wife and any cargo in the truck and you have another 300# or more. Your load on the truck is 1600 + 200 + 300 or 2100#. Is your truck payload or cargo capacity over 2100#.

Also, most 1/2 ton trucks on the dealers lots have P series tires, not LT series tires. The P series have softer side walls and will squirm more under load.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

SonnieP

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that it matters for a 5th wheel, but I transposed the numbers on the payload. The sticker on the door well is 1612lbs... NOT 1162.

We started out looking at travel trailers and let my friend convince me to go the fifth wheel route. If we decided to go with a TT, what should I look for to safely tow? Tongue weight and overall weight?

Regards,
Sonnie

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

A 1/2 ton truck is severely limited as for towing by the rear axle GAWR and the payload capacity. The payload capacity included the trailer pin weight, hitch weight, passenger and cargo. A typical 5er will have a loaded pin weight of about 20% of the trailer GVWR. So if your trailer has a GVWR of 8000#, the loaded pin weight will be about 1600#. A short bed truck should have a slider hitch, so add another 200# to the bed. Add 2 kids and a wife and any cargo in the truck and you have another 300# or more. Your load on the truck is 1600 + 200 + 300 or 2100#. Is your truck payload or cargo capacity over 2100#. YES!

Also, most 1/2 ton trucks on the dealers lots have P series tires, not LT series tires. The P series have softer side walls and will squirm more under load.

Ken
And it also has LT tires.
Actually, the badge on the side isn't the determining factor; the ratings on the door and elsewhere are. I have more payload then some F250's.

* This post was edited 11/16/20 10:39am by wing_zealot *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.