RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: I got my new gas light.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got my new gas light.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you live off grid you use propane lighting, here a few of many.
[image]
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish there was a lime button. Well put spectra.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

time2roll wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Where a gravity furnace could work in a RV, not use electricity it would burn more propane, unless it was below floor level. A wall mounted unit would put heat high in the room, to pool at ceiling. With nothing to circulate it would take a lot of heat to get that pool down to knees. The fan blower reverses the natural flow in the furnace, so the natural flow in the room helps to heat it.
Plenty of apartments use a vented convection heater on the wall and nobody is getting cold knees for it.

Exactly,we had one in a house when we first bought it..Worked okay just like the gravity furnace did in several truck campers and travel trailers..Those of us that have actually used them in cold temps,actually liked them and the lack of electricity needed...

I will not say a gravity furnace will not work. The coal or wood fired gravity furnace was much better than the pot-belly stove, which was better than the fireplace. But as technology evolved, forced air has proven to be more efficient. Maybe a gravity furnace in RV would heat well enough without the need for electricity. But I would be surprised if propane consumption did not increase. Is it easier to carry extra propane instead of extra battery? I can't say. But IMHO, a better idea would be try to make the air handling part of the furnace more efficient. (In homes, the combustion/heat extraction has improved to the point need to use electricity to remove combustion waste gasses, can't use the natural lift of heat to remove. But save enough in fuel to pay for extra electricity.
Gas lights where a great improvement over oil lamps. And in a application where any time you need light you also need heat, and you had ventilation a gas light would likely be the way to go. And like the OP, want for the nostalgia, then it is the right tool for the job. For off-grid living, solar/battery/LED is state of art. But when a local propane supplier will set the tank just to be sure you buy from them, somebody building on a tight budget might install gas lights, to avoid the up-front costs of a solar set-up. As price of solar drops, less likely.

Even more off topic;
In the early '60s the local natural gas company had a "deal". They would install a pole with gaslight where it would light the sidewalk from drive to stoop. About 1 in 4 houses on the block had them. How much gas did they sell with all those lamps burning 24/7/365?

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

time2roll wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Where a gravity furnace could work in a RV, not use electricity it would burn more propane, unless it was below floor level. A wall mounted unit would put heat high in the room, to pool at ceiling. With nothing to circulate it would take a lot of heat to get that pool down to knees. The fan blower reverses the natural flow in the furnace, so the natural flow in the room helps to heat it.
Plenty of apartments use a vented convection heater on the wall and nobody is getting cold knees for it.

Exactly,we had one in a house when we first bought it..Worked okay just like the gravity furnace did in several truck campers and travel trailers..Those of us that have actually used them in cold temps,actually liked them and the lack of electricity needed...
Absolutely... We had both a gravity furnace and a propane light in our '74 Scotty. Miss them every time we camp in the cold. The family would be sitting around the fire telling stories - I would go in the camper and start up the light while I turned all the furniture into beds.
Those were the good old days... [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Humphrey's gas light, $100
6 extra preformed mantels, $62
Extra globe $15
3/8" copper tubing $21
Misc brass fittings $15
Better part of the day installing

Total material cost $213.00
Total satisfaction Priceless

10 LED light bulbs $10 flushed down the toilet.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d probably get rid of $1 LED bulbs, too. Probably a good idea before they catch fire. Don’t flush them though. [emoticon]

I bought high quality warm white bulbs years ago for the opposite reason of your light. That is, they are zero maintenance and put off no heat.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Don’t flush them though. [emoticon]

That's some good advise. [emoticon] I'll just toss them in the garbage.

LEDs produce a weird light to me. I prefer "softer" light too.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a large Amish population in Holmes County, Ohio, Lehman's Hardware caters to the "non-electric" buyer. They have a selection of gas lights and parts.

Gas Lights

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup,there are a few here who are confusing the indoor approved gas lights to a Coleman lantern..Does anyone think that major camper manufacturers would put in something that spelled law suit all over it,like propane lights if they were not approved for there use?

My last one was in an 18ft Ideal travel trailer I was living in full time(McCall Idaho) at the time..My wife and I took it way back in the hills for our honeymoon in July where it got down in the low 30's in the mornings..Get up and put the coffee on the stove and start up the propane light and it was nice and cozy in a few minutes..

Like catalytic heaters,crack a couple windows and you will never have an issue..

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think these gas lights are awesome. Like I mentioned earlier I had two in our vintage 19' TT and we loved them.

And guess what, no one died.

Its called common sense, something that it greatly missed these days.

What I marvel at how quick a few jump on the bandwagon to diss on something that they don't get, understand and have zero knowledge about.

My decision had nothing to do with cost, maintenance or my dislike for LED lights.

They provide soft light and heat in the cooler temperatures while out camping.

Battery usage has nothing to do with it either. I have a built in generator that will always keep me with power and keep my two group 29 batteries charged.

And most of all, I love the atmosphere that they provide, its more like camping.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got my new gas light.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.