RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Boondocking --- Average AH consumption/day?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Boondocking --- Average AH consumption/day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to be adding solar to my 2015 Class C Majestic 28a. I currently have 2 lead acid batteries that state they have 122AH capacity each (from Walmart). I'm trying to figure out if I should add 100w or 200w. My assumption is that 100w of solar will on average add about 30AH/day back into the batteries.

If you have a battery monitor and happen to know on average how many AH/day you use when boondocking I'd love to hear. Let's assume you are NOT using your furnace at night (summer camping) and that you aren't plugged in or solar charging. Yes, I know that everyone's use will be different and that's what I'm curious to see. If you could, please share what your rig is, what your battery bank capacity is, and approximately how many AH/day you go through. Perhaps tell us what sort of things you are running in your RV, and whether you try to be energy frugal or if you consume with reckless abandon (lol!).

Will be interesting to see various people's input! In the end, I'll probably just add 200w as a likely overkill for most typical usage.

Enjoy!
Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

Lwiddis

June Lake area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your average won’t be 30 amp hours per day for each 100 watt panel. When in bulk charging you might see 5 in bright light and cool temperatures for a while but as you enter the absorption phase the accepted power goes way down. Solar panels are cheap and rigid panels last a long time. Minimum is one solar watt per battery amp hour. Not the time to go cheap...and barely adequate. Use big wire...bigger wire.

I have two Trojan T125s and 245 amp hours when they are full. I use 75 to 100 amps per day mostly depending if I can get local TV news and if I run the Fantasic fans.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

madjack60

littleton

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 87 bounder had 300watts solar and 400ah battery. It did ok. Just got a 2001 31ft Itasca class C and put 680watts solar and 380ah of battery it does excellent

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

madjack60 wrote:

My 87 bounder had 300watts solar and 400ah battery. It did ok. Just got a 2001 31ft Itasca class C and put 680watts solar and 380ah of battery it does excellent

Good stuff! 680watts of solar sounds like a nice little power station!
Do you have a battery monitor and do you have any idea on average how many AH/day you are USING?

Using a rule of thumb of 30AH per 100w of solar, it appears your system is capable of putting ~200AH/day back into the batteries. Are you using that much? I was under the assumption that an "average" camper might be using 30-50AH/day (not counting any furnace usage).

Happy camping!
-Chris

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

I'm going to be adding solar to my 2015 Class C Majestic 28a. I currently have 2 lead acid batteries that state they have 122AH capacity each (from Walmart). I'm trying to figure out if I should add 100w or 200w. My assumption is that 100w of solar will on average add about 30AH/day back into the batteries.

Enjoy!
Chris

One thing you need to be very clear on is if solar people are using an inverter or not. Using an inverter to power things like a 2/3 way gas/electric refrigerator (on electricity 12V or 120V)) or a microwave oven, coffee maker, etc. makes a HUGE difference on your electric consumption. In general, put the most solar panels on your roof that you can afford and have space for. For your application, 3-140 watt panels, if they fit, is a good place to start. IMO, you'll be glad you did.

Chum lee

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

SJ-Chris wrote:

Enjoy!
Chris

One thing you need to be very clear on is if solar people are using an inverter or not. Using an inverter to power things like a 2/3 way gas/electric refrigerator (on electricity 12V or 120V)) or a microwave oven, coffee maker, etc. makes a HUGE difference on your electric consumption. In general, put the most solar panels on your roof that you can afford and have space for. For your application, 3-140 watt panels, if they fit, is a good place to start. IMO, you'll be glad you did.

Chum lee

Good point! For my purposes, I will be installing a small ~500-800w inverter primarily to be used for say a laptop or the TV/DVD player. It will not be for the microwave, AC, fridge, or coffee pot.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 230 AH battery bank and 200 watts of solar.
Never watch TV or listen to the entertainment center. Use an inverter sparingly to charge camera batteries and cell phone. Have LED lighting, absorption fridge on propane, use water pump throughout the day and the exhaust fan sparingly.
On an average 24 hour day we use about 50 AH (a little over 25% of the battery bank). Batteries are back to 100% charge by early afternoon each day (as long as there is sunshine).

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

Chum lee wrote:

SJ-Chris wrote:

Enjoy!
Chris

Chum lee

Good point! For my purposes, I will be installing a small ~500-800w inverter primarily to be used for say a laptop or the TV/DVD player. It will not be for the microwave, AC, fridge, or coffee pot.

Cool. Based on what you say, you should be fine with 200 watts (2 x 100 watt) of panels. If you're like me (and I hope you aren't) eventually you'll be sitting there (after paying to fill your propane tank multiple times) thinking "Why am I paying all this money for propane when I could run my refrigerator off the sun."

Chum lee

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The solar is not going to do what you think. So start w/ 200 watts and go from there. You don't need more batteries

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100 watts is for storage. 200 watts would be the minimum I recommend for the effort to provide 12v power while in use.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Boondocking --- Average AH consumption/day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.