RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Salt Lake to Albuquerque on a 40 Pusher then to Florida.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Salt Lake to Albuquerque on a 40 Pusher then to Florida.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's Friday which route did you choose??

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

shft22

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far so good. We left Salt Lake mid afternoon thursday and made it to Crescent Junction rest area with no issues, very nice ride down 191. This was a very good road to start to understand the rigs road behavior, she feel agile and very well behaved for her weight and size.

We did an overnight at Crescent red stop and from there we headed east on I-70, oh wow what a beautiful drive, this would definitely be worth it and a must do if you can handle the high passes and steep descents.

We had no issues with either, I had driven these passes before on a car, but on a big RV is a complete different experience, the rig handle them very well. I keep the speed slow as to not over abuse the CAT C-7 and did the same on the descends, no drama either way. I do have to say the road around these areas can use some repaving, but I imagine with the snow and trucks running chains that is a constant job.

We made into Kansas and are overnighting at an Rest stop by Colby. This is a very nice place, it has an area just for RV, that is a loop around some tres, it is away from the trucks and very secluded.

So far we have put a bit over 800 miles and loving the drive, weather has been perfect, the roads good for the most part and we are driving forward with a smile in our faces.

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shft22 wrote:

So far so good. We left Salt Lake mid afternoon thursday and made it to Crescent Junction rest area with no issues, very nice ride down 191. This was a very good road to start to understand the rigs road behavior, she feel agile and very well behaved for her weight and size.

We did an overnight at Crescent red stop and from there we headed east on I-70, oh wow what a beautiful drive, this would definitely be worth it and a must do if you can handle the high passes and steep descents.

We had no issues with either, I had driven these passes before on a car, but on a big RV is a complete different experience, the rig handle them very well. I keep the speed slow as to not over abuse the CAT C-7 and did the same on the descends, no drama either way. I do have to say the road around these areas can use some repaving, but I imagine with the snow and trucks running chains that is a constant job.

We made into Kansas and are overnighting at an Rest stop by Colby. This is a very nice place, it has an area just for RV, that is a loop around some tres, it is away from the trucks and very secluded.

So far we have put a bit over 800 miles and loving the drive, weather has been perfect, the roads good for the most part and we are driving forward with a smile in our faces.

Thanks for the up date - [emoticon] - Roads in Kansas and Missouri are the best in the Country, enjoy the drive. (IMHO)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be good from here on with route options available if there is weather.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US 550 is a mighty fine highway, no issues. There are not a lot of services between Bloomfield to Albuquerque so make sure you have plenty of fuel. There are places to get fuel, of course, but I prefer fresh fuel from high volume sellers.

Just me, personally, but I'd take I-40 from Albuquerque towards Amarillo, jump off onto US 287u (very good road) towards Dallas-Fort Worth. I'd cut just south of DFW to miss that mess. From there you could work your way down to I-10, or just pickup I-20 eastbound to Shreveport LA and head to FL.

Best wishes to you, have a safe and enjoyable trip.

shft22

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Made it home no issues, over 2600 miles in 4 days.

We basically stayed within the interstate system for the most part,

We headed on I-70 east thru Colorado, in Kansas we had serious head wind and it was forecasted to get to 13F ahead of us, so we decided to head south. So we go on I-135 to I-35 South, to OK-412 and connected to 351 this go us to I-40.
We stayed on I-40 east until Memphis, worst road of the trip I-40 thru Arkansa.
We then got on I-22 to Birmingham, I-20 to Atlanta connecting to I-75 south to FL Turnpike and Home in South Florida.

All excellent road, except I-40 thru Arkansa, lots of truck, construction narrow shoulders and crappy rest stops.
Best rest stops Kansas, on I-70, Colorado wasn't bad either, just noisy mostly because of where we parked.

thank you all for your help and guidance, it was a long trip, and my first in such a large vehicle, but will do it again no question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Salt Lake to Albuquerque on a 40 Pusher then to Florida.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.