|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL! Am I the only “Karen” (Kevin) worried about alligators if you go kayaking!
Keep in mind this is coming from a Midwestern person of 50 years.

Otherwise it sounds like a great trip!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

LOL! Am I the only “Karen” (Kevin) worried about alligators if you go kayaking!...

No, you certainly are not! Anything that thinks its higher in the food chain than i am gets my complete respect.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

LOL! Am I the only “Karen” (Kevin) worried about alligators if you go kayaking!
Keep in mind this is coming from a Midwestern person of 50 years.

Otherwise it sounds like a great trip!

Ha! Ironically, I really hope to see gators if we are kayaking. We are from PA so we don't get to see them often and would be awesome to have crystal clear water and see Manatees and Gators on the same trip. Of course when you speak to anyone south of SC they laugh. To them it's like seeing white tailed deer up here it seems ;-)

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Guy Roan wrote:

rav wrote:

Across from Silver Springs State Park is the Silver Springs Rv resort and many others. You could walk over to the Springs and rent kayaks.

You won't see manatees in Silver Springs or any in the Ocala National Forest spring runs

If you can find an RV park close to Blue Springs state Park, you are guaranteed to paddle with the Manatees there and in the Hontoon Dead River and the St Johns River

Check out our Google web sit under the "Springs Area"
It is https://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/

Guy

My friend, you are sadly mistaken. The greatest number of manatees will be found in the runs of springs. Silver Glen and salt springs run get several every winter. Blue Springs run at Blue Springs State Park have enormous populations of manatees every winter.

Did you read my second paragraph ???

Guy

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

rav wrote:

We saw several manatees last year and last week one was spotted near the glass bottom boat maintenance area.

They are strays and have to come all the way up the Oklawaha River to get there and are few and far between.

The Crystal River on the west coast is another prime place where you can be guaranteed to see them. Especially around the Three Sisters Springs area

Guy

Thanks for all of your replies Guy. Curious though.. There are advertisements all over the web for the Silver Spring area i.e. "Monkeys and Manatees" etc etc. Are you saying they are there but there are other places with a higher population?

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did a trip like you are wanting to do a few years ago. We stayed at Lake Rousseau RV Resort (nice people, mainly permanent sites). It was kind of a middle ground for where we wanted to paddle.
Check out Rainbow River Canoe and Kayak, they offer a shuttle on Rainbow River. It is a great 5 mile float trip. The water is incredible, with tons of wildlife. However due to a Ram, manatees are not on the river. Google pictures from Rainbow River, it is amazing. It is in Dunnellon FL. Rainbow Springs State Park s at the head spring, but it is hard to find a vacancy.
Crystal River has tons of manatees year round, and is not to far away. When we went there was tons of wind and had the water murky, and the waves out in the main river were to rough, we did see lots of manatee noses pop up to get air. We are wanting to go back again and hoping for better weather.
It is also about an hour from Manatee Springs State Park, it is really a pretty place. Tons of wildlife, manatees, gators deer etc.
It is an amazing area, We did a week long trip, and split it between Disney and kayaking. On the way home my kids said they wished we had spent the whole week paddling and skipped Disney.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Guy Roan wrote:

rav wrote:

We saw several manatees last year and last week one was spotted near the glass bottom boat maintenance area.

They are strays and have to come all the way up the Oklawaha River to get there and are few and far between.

The Crystal River on the west coast is another prime place where you can be guaranteed to see them. Especially around the Three Sisters Springs area

Guy

Thanks for all of your replies Guy. Curious though.. There are advertisements all over the web for the Silver Spring area i.e. "Monkeys and Manatees" etc etc. Are you saying they are there but there are other places with a higher population?

Yes, if you want to be assured to paddle with and around Manatees and you don't want to head farther south go to Crystal River.

With that said the Silver Springs and the Rainbow River are absolutely beautiful spring runs and are must to see, but not for Manatees. They are few and far between there and I would hate to see your kids disappointed.

Guy

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again everyone! This is all great info! Traveling & towing roughly 20 hours with 3 kids can be a challenge as many of you know so it's important to do our best to be in the right spot where everyone will have fun. I'll continue researching all of these suggested areas.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

LOL! Am I the only “Karen” (Kevin) worried about alligators if you go kayaking!...

No, you certainly are not! Anything that thinks its higher in the food chain than i am gets my complete respect.

Lifetime Florida resident and I have never heard of a gator attacking a boat. The very rare gator attacks, maybe one every other year at a guess, occurs mainly when idiots feed a gator and get it used to people and mainly occurs in the evening at dusk and generally on smaller people. You are a thousand times more liking to get hurt by some drunk driver in a car or a BOAT

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.