RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my area of Florida there are about 4 or 5 RV dealers that I have heard about. None of what I have heard is very assuring. Of course I have never heard anything assuring about automobile dealers either. The dealers that I have heard having negative opinions expressed in my area, Ocala, Florida, is Tri-Am, Optimum, General, Camping World, and Lazydays in the Tampa area. As such, it would be helpful to hear from folks that have purchased either a new or used motor home from a dealer in the north central to northern area of Florida that you were satisfied with; Ocala, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, etc. Would even be willing to go further south or north to southern Georgia.

Another thought brings me to the manufacturer. Is it possible to drive to the manufacturer's plant and purchase direct? Can one save any money doing the purchase this way?

Once again, thanks for any and all info provided.

My Best, [emoticon]

Dave

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all dealers are intrested in one thing,your money. so when buying a item know its value before you talk money . know what your doing and educate yourself on dealing. on that item.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google reviews are very helpful. RvDirect (now RVONE I think) are about as close as I have ever gotten to a wholesale direct to buyer. They are a dealer but usually you have to know what you want and order. I've never bought anything from them but when shopping I found them to have the best deal up front and could pit other dealers against that number. They don't carry all brands and models.

What specifically are looking for in a deal? Cost, repair service etc?

No dealer is going to tell you what they paid and be totally up front if you are getting a good deal. None should take a non-refundable deposit, etc.

I did have a deal once years ago at a CW where I put down a deposit, found the same unit elsewhere much cheaper and CW refused to give back my deposit despite never ordering the RV I wanted or provide the terms I wanted. I had to get the States Attorney General involved and I promptly got my check back.

My most recent deal, I found the FW in our signature, put down a deposit while fully disclosing I needed to buy a truck. The dealer said no problem and could hold it up to a month. A week later he started hassling me and said his manager said he could only hold it a week. I assume they had interest in my unit. I found a truck a few days later and closed the deal with them only because it was a good deal and I didn't feel like starting over. And the FW we bought I simply couldn't find it anywhere within a 1000 miles and if I did it was much more expensive. But I didn't hesitate to let them know I knew what was going on.

In short, educate yourself and buyer beware. It's a seller's market right and they don't need you as a buyer.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

Is it possible to drive to the manufacturer's plant and purchase direct?

N0.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we spent last winter in Florida, we went to several RV dealerships including General RV, Camping World, Lazydays and a couple of smaller ones. We also went to two small RV shows in Daytona and the big one in Tampa. No one wanted to do any kind of deals. We waited until we got back home and bought a new 5th Wheel where we got a much better deal. I think it's because Florida sells RV's year round where up here in the North, not many people are going to RV dealers looking for a new RV in snowstorms so they try to sell as many as they can from March-November.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shorten the list, stay away from Camping World and right there you're ahead of the game.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have purchased from Tri-Am and was satisfied. We sometimes buy parts from them, have had parts installed and never had any problems at all. Ryan Perkins is one of the owners and if you have any questions you need to talk to him. I agree I wouldn't touch Camping World with a 10' pole. Good Luck!

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, recently added a 2016 Livin Lite 21RBS travel trailer. No Wood!No Rot!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Shorten the list, stay away from Camping World and right there you're ahead of the game.

Agree. The worst experience we ever had even looking at RVs was at a CW.

But yes, there are dealers out there that care about the Next Sale. Because they know that our 1st RV almost certainly isnt going to be our Last RV.

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

We have purchased from Tri-Am and was satisfied. We sometimes buy parts from them, have had parts installed and never had any problems at all. Ryan Perkins is one of the owners and if you have any questions you need to talk to him. I agree I wouldn't touch Camping World with a 10' pole. Good Luck!

I thought that Tri-Am was on the up and up as they have been in business for maybe 30 years here in Ocala. However, I did see some bad reviews lately, Also, they apparently are not dealing much in Class C's which I am interested in. I will possibly give them a try based upon your review.

dblr

Newark De

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your looking for a better price and not worried about service after the sale there are wholesale dealers you could try, we bought our unit at International RV Wholesalers in Elkhart In. about 30 minutes from the factory and have not set foot back at the dealer. There is also RV Wholesaler and Jeff Couch in Ohio and Terrytown in Mi. I only mentioned this as you mentioned about buying direct from the factory. Now they will also deliver to you at a added cost and also it depends if they carry the brand you are looking for. Good luck on your search.

* This post was edited 11/17/20 01:01pm by dblr *

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.