RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't found a good dealer in my entire RV experience which is over 40 years. I have found some good sales people. On the other hand, if customers were more interested in good service versus cheapest price we might have some dealers that cared.Over the years we had 2 Sunlines.We lived about 20 miles from the factory so I could take them there if I had a problem. They were great. But they were sold to a holding company who planned to sell them for a profit. But the 2008 recession hit and the holding company liquidized the assets and Sunline was no more.As far as car dealerships,I have had mostly good relationships with them over the years. They seemed to care more about getting your service business and buying from them in the future.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, of course there are honest RV dealers!

They are usually the locally owned "mom and pop" shops that live in your community and the owner is the guy you deal with.

Sometimes it is your PERCEPTION of the dealer because of an honest error by a clerk, a technician, or a salesman.
Or sometimes it is your PERCEPTION of the dealer because YOU mis-understood something, didn't listen, or simply had no idea of what they were talking about AND you were too ashamed to ask.

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dblr wrote:

If your looking for a better price and not worried about service after the sale there are wholesale dealers you could try, we ought our unit at International RV Wholesalers in Elkhart In. about 30 minutes from the factory and have not set foot back at the dealer. There is also RV Wholesaler and Jeff Couch in Ohio and Terrytown in Mi. I only mentioned this as you mentioned about buying direct from the factory. Now they will also deliver to you at a added cost and also it depends if they carry the brand you are looking for. Good luck on your search.

Thank You.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll admit that last summer, as we looked for a travel trailer, I had called General in Michigan (who we had purchased a Class C from a long time prior). The salesman said that since we were a returning customer, he'd knock half off the almost $4,000 in upcharges/fees/prep that come with each purchase. I thanked him as I rolled my eyes....

Then I found a used trailer I liked at Curtis Trailer Center in Schoolcraft, MI. They were super-nice, knowledgeable, zero-pressure; and didn't add anything to the end price other than sales tax and title transfer fee as required by the state.

So yes, there are good dealers out there - look for the "mom-and-pops" who rely on positive word-of-mouth advertising. And ALWAYS get the out-the-door price!

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave: Similar to the general population, some dealers are honest and, sadly, some are not. Unfortunately, I can't offer any input on the dealers in your area, but hope you find the rv you're looking for and strike a fair deal. We've had good experience with smaller dealers and bought locally.

On the topic of what I call B.S. fees -- they can found in so many businesses these days - shop fees, document fees, prep fees, etc. As an example, look at all the crazy fees associated with buying or selling a home! Everyone seems to want a slice of the pie!

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our worst experience was our first purchase at a "Mom and Pop" type dealer. We were total newbies and they could sense that and took advantage. The year after our purchase they were bought by Lazy Days and their service department was fine there, just slow like all around here. Our second purchase was at a larger, regional dealer that has a few locations in our state. Our salesman was great, he had 20+ years of experience in the service department so he was very knowledgable, and even gave us his cell phone to call him after our purchase was complete with any questions. Their service department was also slow, but again, they all are in our area due to the high demand and lack of workers. Our recent purchase was at Lazy Days and it was fine. We knew more about the rig we were buying than the salesman did as we had done extensive research prior to purchasing, but that didn't bother us. In the end, we got the rig we wanted, at a price we were happy with.

Moral of the story? Do your own research, and just use the salesman as your final stop. Oh and don't go to Camping World [emoticon]

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have looked at a motorhome at Bankston RV in Huntsville, AL. I knew what I was doing, and they did not try to snow me or sell me something I was not interested in. I didn't buy because everything they had was bigger than what I wanted, but I would have bought from them if they had anything that was right for me.

Bankston is a large multi-location regional dealer and well-established. I would say that their advertised prices are not the lowest but not the highest either. I didn't get to the point of talking money so don't know how flexible they are.

Their google reviews are generally positive and everyone I dealt with was efficient and polite, and didn't talk down to me because I was a woman by myself.

Youngblood RV in Mayfield KY (and other locations) also seems pretty good. I know multiple people who are repeat customers, which says a lot. Again a well established local but not mom/pop outfit.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a TT from a highly rated dealership... and have run into lie after lie after lie. So even ratings don't always help

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 03:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my first new RV from House of Camping, near Chicago. They are a family owned dealership and treated me fair and square. no hidden fees or bait and switch stuff. highly recommend them.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience there's also a split personality with most dealers, where even if things went perfectly during the sale & PDI, the warranty service is absolutely hellish. My warranty experience from my last dealer was enough to swear I'll never do business with them again (suck it, Giant RV). It took them a full 20 months to finally complete the checklist of items identified during our 12 month warranty period.

One of the happiest life-changes for me was hiring a local mobile tech to come fix things instead of driving 90 minutes to the dealer and having them lie to me about how long they'll keep the coach for repairs. I'd rather pay a tech out of pocket to have things fixed immediately and correctly than to continue to pay the loan and storage for an RV that I can't use.

I had to pay for some of those warranty repairs to be redone correctly, but at least my guy fixed them right and fixed them correctly.

Did I mention how much I dislike Giant RV?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.