RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP have you considered the Alaskan Marine Hwy? I have no clue on cost, but you would not have fuel or hotel cost.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

jsummers72 wrote:

In 2019 BC did req chains. (After Oct as I recall) Not on the vehicle but in possession. It wasn’t over advertised but
It was true. Better check real good. I’ve never used mine, but have for winter Alcan travel.

you required chains in your posession if you didn't have winter or good M+S tires.

Steve

Incorrect Steve, you are required to have the correct tires on you passenger vehicle ( including RV’s) in BC between the dates I posted. It does not matter if you have chains or not, you must have the correct winter tires requirement first.
Requirements

the sign in the link you posted is missleading and not the sign on the highways. the actualy sign has the works "OR" between the tripeak snowflak and the M+S and that is the actual wording of the regulation. I live on the Coq and travel it every day to go to work. you need winter tripeak snowflake rated tires OR M+S tires (which is most all season tires on the market). the one requirment for the M+S tires is they must be at least 5/16th tread depth. Personaly on my truck I run the Sailune terramax as they are all weather with the tripeak winter snowflake rating so I maintain my towing capacity , on my comuting car I run pure winters but I usaly dont put them on till mid Nov as it is to hot to run them here before then. I put 45000km traveling on that high way a year going to work and back so i need to make the tires last and running winters over 10 degrees constantly isnt going to help. but my summers are M+S tires and I have a set of chains in the car just in case. for the truck I take my chains if I am towing the 5th so I can have one set of trailer tires with chanes if there needed. for the most part if there is a snowstorm and your not pressed for time just pull over and wait, the mandate is that the highway contractor has to have the highway cleared within 4 hours of the end of a snowfall, does it allways happen no but generaly it will be deicent enough. the last 3 years the contractors have been dropping the ball but it is what it is with privatization .

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

EEWally

Missoula, MT and Tahuya, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do the Provinces and AK allow studded snow tires?

1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

- The signs I posted are from before the rule changed, and after the rule changed.
- The last link I posted dictates the rules in words that must be followed.
- Yes, Canada does allow studded tires on our Hwys, however they have to be mounted and removed from the vehicle by specific dates dictated by each province.
- and a Good news story for everyone.

A winter drive to Alaska

Stay safe everyone
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EEWally wrote:

Do the Provinces and AK allow studded snow tires?

Yes, Alaska does allow studded tires. Winter tires are almost a requirement in AK. I buy a second set of wheels and have them mounted on their own wheel so I could seasonally swap my tires at home, otherwise you wait in long lines during tire changeover season.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Marine Highway is a great idea, but it costs a lot to take a truck and a TT. I have ridden it twice.

Studded snow tires are great especially on ice and transitional snow. I ran them on all four wheels in Colorado during the legal season. It helped a lot getting around in the snow and logging in the mountains.

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm revisiting this post because I'm considering taking my TT once again. I have co-workers who is making the trek right now as I type this and he too is traveling with his TT.

AKsilvereagle, you have a lot of good info and I greatly appreciate it. I'm currently running Goodyear Duratrac AT tires that are quite new, so plenty of tread. I just ordered a set of SZ492 Super Z8 "chains" for the rear tires. This is going to be a dumb question but should I use a set on my TT as well?

I'll be purchasing the oil pan and trans pan heaters as well. I've been communicating on a chevy forum and others recommended the same. I did ask about the battery blankets as well but I might look into the batteries you mentioned.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

I just ordered a set of SZ492 Super Z8 "chains" for the rear tires. This is going to be a dumb question but should I use a set on my TT as well?
Everywhere I know if you are towing and using chains on the tow vehicle you must chain one axel of the trailer. Probably some cables would be sufficient.

Make sure everything fits before you go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

I just ordered a set of SZ492 Super Z8 "chains" for the rear tires. This is going to be a dumb question but should I use a set on my TT as well?
Everywhere I know if you are towing and using chains on the tow vehicle you must chain one axel of the trailer. Probably some cables would be sufficient.

Make sure everything fits before you go.

Talking to my buddy, making the trip now, did the same. I'll be purchasing a set for one axle.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear you'll be taking the TT with you, it'll get tons of use up there. Free camping all over the state, I only paid for beach spots in Seward and Homer. Safe travels!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.