RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok... TT is done. I had to remove the drum and readjust the star adjuster from inside. Strange thing was it wasn't stuck or seized up and the damage to one of the splines was not what I thought it was, so kept the part. It's ready to go.

Now I need to install the heating pads on the oil and trans pans and all is ready. I picked up two 5 gal (20 litre) diesel cans today as well. I'll have 10 gal diesel and 5 gal gas for the generator. Also picked up the 911 and the additive. It's getting real!

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

Ok... TT is done. It's getting real!

Your preparation will make your trip enjoyable. It's a beautiful drive, enjoy it!

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please send us poor saps a couple pics along the way!
Good luck and safe travels!

I might be over hyping this but my family’s trip to and experience living in Alaska was phenomenal and something the kids and us still talk about somewhat regularly, even though it was 7 years ago now.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Grit Dog mentioned, and I said many pages of posts ago.
Make sure your co-pilot has the camera handy for the entire trip. Like I said, your going to see some pretty spectacular sites on your trip north.
Myself, I hate the camera option on my cell phone as it doesn’t take “good enough” pictures for my liking.
I have a number of cameras, but my “go to” camera is a small Canon PowerShot with 12 times Optical Zoom. Small fits in your pocket like a cell phone, I take it snowmobiling, ATVing, fishing in the bush.... etc...and takes much better pictures than a cell phone.... ( my opinion)
Have fun on your trip.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

Like Grit Dog mentioned, and I said many pages of posts ago.
Make sure your co-pilot has the camera handy for the entire trip. Like I said, your going to see some pretty spectacular sites on your trip north.
Myself, I hate the camera option on my cell phone as it doesn’t take “good enough” pictures for my liking.
I have a number of cameras, but my “go to” camera is a small Canon PowerShot with 12 times Optical Zoom. Small fits in your pocket like a cell phone, I take it snowmobiling, ATVing, fishing in the bush.... etc...and takes much better pictures than a cell phone.... ( my opinion)
Have fun on your trip.
Soup.

Excellent advice. When we made the Alaska trip during the summer of 2019 I bought 2 pocket cameras and put them on neck lanyards. The rule was anytime we stepped out of the camper the camera had to be around our neck. If we hadn't we would have missed some great pictures. Animals won't wait for you to go back to the camper to get a camera. We took over 4000 pictures.
We got extra rechargeable batteries for each camera. At least once a day we had to replace batteries then charged them at night.
Friends just used their cell phone cameras. Their phones would not last all day taking pictures.
Pocket cameras are cheap, reliable, and with extra batteries are always ready for that next unexpected photo.

Camped in every state

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should also mention, cell phone Battery life “historically” don’t last very long at all when in the cold. Before I bought my cannon I packed my cell phone in my shirt pocket while snowmobiling. Even thou it was under my heavy snowmobile jacket the few times it came out for pictures the battery would’ve close to dead in a few hours. Even if we leave it in the truck when we went ridding the battery would be dead at the end of our day.
So, keep an eye on your cell phone battery life, and possibly Buy a small pocket camera.
Have a safe trip and.....It’s COLD up here.... bring extra socks... ( grin)
Soup

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New restrictions just announced by our Prime Minister in regards to entering Canada......

"starting next week, anyone arriving in Canada by land will also need to show a recent negative COVID-19 test."

I key on the word "anyone". The article did not mention transiting to/fm Alaska but it did mention "within 72 hrs of entering Canada".Effective 15 Feb.

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Further to my earlier post. Media is putting out more info....restrictions are for Non-essential " travel. Being on Military Orders should be exempt for the COVID test requirement but I , personally, would contact CBSA keeping a copy of their email response or the name, badge # and their title of the person on a phone call.

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

If you need any base assistance after Hill, there is one last Air Force Base in Great Falls Montana that has full services for military. I use them for draining tanks and refill, but you will probably be running empty in the cold weather. Not much for services north of Great Falls MT until Calgary and then Edmonton.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.