RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

theres been a lot of confusion where people have been told rapid tests do not qualify and the real tests take to long to get bak to meet the guidline. I would check with the boarder agents and see what is required and the time frames for your transit.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

theres been a lot of confusion where people have been told rapid tests do not qualify and the real tests take to long to get bak to meet the guidline. I would check with the boarder agents and see what is required and the time frames for your transit.

Steve

Unfortunately it's impossible to get in touch with CBSA. I've tried on numerous occasions with no success. I followed the guidelines on the CBSA site to have a molecular (PCR) test done. The test they administered at Hill is the same test.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just tossing out a number for CBSA in Coutts, Alberta. 1 800-461-9999

Gary Haupt

* This post was edited 02/16/21 10:23am by garyhaupt *

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we made it to Airdrie, AB yesterday without issue at the border. Thank goodness! Apparently the COVID testing requirement starts today. We were prepared regardless.

I did run into an issue though. While trying to leave for St John, BC this morning I was trying to knock ice off the axels of the TT when I noticed broken wires to 3 of the 4 wheels. Found out that these were the brake wires and that they had been cut by the ice build up. Since my movement is restrict due to covid, I was lucky enough to find a guy who will be able to repair the wires tomorrow. What a relief! I have also purchased a butane torch from Canada Tire and will do a curbside pickup later today. I'm definitely learning some things on this trip.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good catch.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll keep an eye peeled as you go past Grande Prairie. Safe travels.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck. Safe travels!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all! We made it to Liard Lodge safely last night. Today we trek to Whitehorse.

I have a question. Yesterday I was getting fuel at an ESSO station and realized I pumped 5 gal of LSD into my truck before I stopped it. I had about a half a tank already in the truck before accidently adding the the LSD and ended up going to another station that offered ULSD to finish filling it up. Will this LSD hurt anything? It seems that most places in the ALCAN offer only LSD, unless you're in a well established town/city.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

Thank you all! We made it to Liard Lodge safely last night. Today we trek to Whitehorse.

I have a question. Yesterday I was getting fuel at an ESSO station and realized I pumped 5 gal of LSD into my truck before I stopped it. I had about a half a tank already in the truck before accidently adding the the LSD and ended up going to another station that offered ULSD to finish filling it up. Will this LSD hurt anything? It seems that most places in the ALCAN offer only LSD, unless you're in a well established town/city.

Sounds like your making pretty good time across CA. Be ready for the Yukon checkpoints later today, and your 24 hour timer to start. You'll be fine with the fuel your purchasing, Canadians drive the same vehicles using that fuel and your doing highway driving not stop and go city traffic. Make sure and fuel up in Beaver Creek, there isn't squat on the Alaska side of the border for a long ways, with Tok being the best bet for good fuel.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

You guys are gettin right along! Good to hear!

I'm about 99.5% certain that you were pumping ULSD and not LSD. Canada has had the same regs for fuel basically as the US, since 2006 or 2008, whenever the switch was made.
My guess is old pump stickers on the pumps out there in the boonies.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.