RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsummers72 wrote:

Better be sure the Canadians will let you thru the border. I have personally talked to 2 families that made it thru and two who were turned away. No reason no recourse. This is a bad time to bet on a friendly border agent.

I'm on Military Orders and should not have issues... barring any COVID symptoms at the border.

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

While we're on that topic, were you forced to quarantine for 14 days or did you just have to be out of the country by the date on the "hang tag"?

We just had to provide the required documentation (no quarantine required) at the border and received what I called our "Scarlet Letter" that was placed on the dash for the entire transit (the reflection in the windshield was a hazard in itself), and were restricted to 5 days to cross. We did it in 3 long days crossing back into the US at 11:00pm and slept in the rest area next to the border. You have to process back out of Canada also which is confusing as the borders are not set up for anyone to stop on the Canadian side to turn in their documentation. The US agents helped us by letting us into the US and then we just walked back into Canada and turned in the paperwork and walked back through the building and into the US again.

Thank you for that! Makes me feel better about the travel with the whole quarantine stuff.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other question. The others who have traveled during the Coronacrud up there mentioned that campgrounds and parks were closed to them, with you saying you wont be trying to stay in the camper, ,,, will motels accept travellers from the US?

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

I'm on Military Orders and should not have issues... barring any COVID symptoms at the border.

They will let you through with Military orders.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

One other question. The others who have traveled during the Coronacrud up there mentioned that campgrounds and parks were closed to them, with you saying you wont be trying to stay in the camper, ,,, will motels accept travellers from the US?

Many hotels and motels were closed down when we drove through due to the lack of tourism, but many military have traveled trough and stayed at hotels along the way. They were not allowed in restaurants but could order food for pickup or delivery. Drive through's are open to Americans traveling thru too (we had an Uncle Burger in Fort Nelson).

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

They will let you through with Military orders.

yup, with the same restrictions as regual people passing through. there is increased scrutiny now due to quite a few people saying they were going to alaska then cught haveing vacations way out of the way of the pather between the boarder and alaska.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Many hotels and motels were closed down when we drove through due to the lack of tourism, but many military have traveled trough and stayed at hotels along the way. They were not allowed in restaurants but could order food for pickup or delivery. Drive through's are open to Americans traveling thru too (we had an Uncle Burger in Fort Nelson).

I again suggest reading and or calling CBSA and the Yukon Gov’t in the links I gave you in my first post. Things change and are changing all the time so you want to make sure you have the most up to date info before you leave home.
I would have a list of questions ready if you call so you can get the answers right from the horses mouth.
Your only permitted to cross into Canada at a small number of Canadian boarder crossings, and I believe now there are only a number of specific routes you can take on your transit. Again that would be a question to ask CBSA.

You should also prepare for winter driving and have a “ winter driving survival kit” with you in your vehicle. What you should carry with you are easy to find on line, and relatively inexpensive.
Emergency car kit

The farther north you get in BC the more remote you will be. Today it’s -20c in Whitehorse Yukon, and by February those temps can and will be much colder and will be a daily occurrence.

*** I would also ask CBSA “ incase” you get delayed because of weather / road conditions, what steps you need to do if you do get delayed, so you don’t get into trouble for taking to long on your transit. ***

Good luck, driving in the winter is challenging, the main Hwys you will be on are kept in good winter driving conditions as fast as the plow truck etc can get to them, however the weather can change rapidly hence making sure your prepared.

Lastly, have your co-pilot make sure the camera is ready, as you will see some beautiful scenery on your travels.

Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all have provided some very helpful information and greatly appreciate that.

Soup, I will continue to monitor the CBSA website as the days go by. I wish I had a good contact number for them but cannot find one, and they are terrible at returning emails.

My wife and I are now considering keeping our travel trailer in NV for now and coming back to get it when both the weather and COVID calm down. Otherwise, we'll be selling it before we leave.

That being said... how do you sell a travel trailer. Is there a place you can go like Kelly Blue Book to find its value? Are there certain restrictions?

* This post was edited 11/18/20 11:47am by Pipsfc *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up your model of RV and see what they are selling for on RV Trader and other sites.

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The emergency kit Soup recommended looks good. One thing I would add is a fairly long (maybe 30 foot), heavy duty, block heater extension cord. If you don't have a block heater that may be something you should have installed. As well as on the trip it would be beneficial in Alaska, unless you are right on the coast.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.