RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: generator maintenance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> generator maintenance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's starting easily and able to run the roof AC and microwave oven at the same time, it's performing well. Just start it once per month, let it warm up and then power on the AC and microwave and let it run for an hour. Shut off AC and microwave and let it cool down for a while before shutting generator off.
Change oil per Onan recommendations.

It's important to keep the electrolyte levels covering the plates of the house batteries and check that they are being fully charged to 13.6 volts by the converter charger when connected to "shore power" or by truck alternator. If kept charged, not run down too far, batteries can last 4 years plus and start the RV generator reliably.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Honda doesn’t say that....

“Honda equipment is designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol.”

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/fuel-recommendations

Are you literally antagonistic with every post?
^This has to be the dumbest advice on small engine layup I’ve ever heard. Maybe stop misleading those that are sincerely looking for answers to real questions.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

If you don't trust or believe the previous owner change the oil. Then start it up and see if it runs smooth. If smooth I would leave it alone and go camping.

It's all good now, but I am the 3rd owner, with unknown treatment by the first owner. Second owner definitely changed the oil.

It starts and runs just fine now. I will probably run some Seafoam through the gas anyway, that's a good preventive of many issues, IMHO.

Never hurts, but doesn’t help anything unless it needs help.
Does the generator run off the vehicle tank? Are you putting it up for the winter or still in use?
If in Use, just keep using it.
If putting away for season, run it low on fuel, add 1/4 tank or so of non ethanol gas and run through system a bit. Or fresh E10 with stabilizer.
FWIW, fuel stabilizers don’t help old degraded fuel. Horse out of barn scenario.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will probably use the motorhome off and on all winter. I'm up for camping any time daytime temps get up around. And Tennessee state parks give 50% off to seniors in December, January, and February. Most of them have water available year round, too.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> generator maintenance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.