|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our grand kids live in Texas and we live in Pa.Last year,due to the virus,we didn't make the trip to see them.This year,I have made reservations at Canyon Lake which is an COE campground north of San Antonio close to where they live. My question is about traveling there and back. We usually didn't make reservations for overnight stops. But I'm wondering what has been your experience traveling during these times? Should I make reservations for each night or not? We prefer state and federal parks. Have any of you not been able to get a spot with first come,first served?The travel would be during week days,not on weekends. Thanks.

happynow

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our experience has been you need to make a reservation near (within 25 miles) any popular Tourist destination. A few places we have been to seemed to be empty at 4 or 5pm. By 8pm, all spaces were full. Don't know if those folks had reservations or not.

Other than that, we have not had a problem.

happynow

Steve and Carol

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say when you are going. We find that during the school year,mid week is no problem at all. Start calling around about two hours from when you want to stop. Should be able to make Tx from Pa in a midweek trip.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually call ahead a few hours, but even then they are sometimes full, especially Passport America campgrounds. It's nice knowing your destination is confirmed.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Resverations!
You have everything to gain and nothing to loss by making reservations in advance. Making reservations and does not LOCK you into a set schedule because you can always change or cancel a reservation. Always ask what the cancellation policy is. Call in advance to make sure the RV park is open. I never understood what the advantage is to wait until the day of your expected arrival and then run the risk of not finding a RV park site.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

We usually call ahead a few hours, but even then they are sometimes full, especially Passport America campgrounds. It's nice knowing your destination is confirmed.
JK

Totally agree! Why add additional stress to your life when it can be avoided.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to make reservations at least a day ahead of that travel day. At worse, I will call ahead early the morning of travel. The last thing I want after a long travel day is to find area parks full and then scramble to find a place to stay maybe a lot farther down the road than planned.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all our years of travel, we very seldom made advance reservations and never had a problem finding a site for overnight. As already mentioned, if we were planning on staying overnight near a popular tourist destination, we would call ahead and see if a spot was available. Once in a while we would even reserve a spot - especially if we were planning on staying more than one night.

The reason for not making them was that we were never sure exactly where we would be wanting to stop. If we knew we wanted to stop at a particular campground then we would sometimes make a reservation.

Another reason is that most campgrounds want a credit card to reserve. We were not comfortable putting our number out there for a stranger unless it was the only way.

This was our preferred method of travel for over 40 years.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Resverations!
You have everything to gain and nothing to loss by making reservations in advance. Making reservations and does not LOCK you into a set schedule because you can always change or cancel a reservation. Always ask what the cancellation policy is. Call in advance to make sure the RV park is open. I never understood what the advantage is to wait until the day of your expected arrival and then run the risk of not finding a RV park site.

Sure, you can always divert and lose your deposit...most places that take reservations want a non-refundable deposit. Some may let you change but frequently not...particularly govt parks where the rules are the rules.

Unless there is a holiday or a longer stay, we usually call the day before or even the morning of travel. Rare for it to be an issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been my experience recently with all the new Covid campers that we need reservations. Better to have a reservation and not need it, than need one and not have it. And we have made lots of reservations and had to cancel with a minimum fee - if any - if outside of 24 hrs so it's not a huge deal. Things happen. But during the holidays with all these new campers, no way I would risk not having a reservation especially if I was pretty solid on my route and timing.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.