|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reservations don't work very well for us because we typically don't know where we're going or when we'll be there. It depends on the season though. I wouldn't freewheel it during busy tourist seasons, but in the fall when most people are back to work & school it worked very well for us.

The night before a travel day, my wife and I would agree on a general compass point and vague destination. Then I would quietly research potential stops along that route. RV Trip Wizard has a feature that shows rings of distances, so I would look at stops around 300 miles away.

The next day on the road, I would prod my wife to start looking for places to stay. If she didn't have any thoughts, I'd suggest XYZ or ABC parks near some town. She'd either agree that they sounded good or pick someplace else, and then she'd call and book it when we were a couple hours away.

We only panicked one night when there was a midweek auto show in the small town in the Sierras where we were stopping. We still got a good spot in an offbeat park. That's the only time we've sweated getting a spot in our tens of thousands of miles of traveling.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Been my experience recently with all the new Covid campers that we need reservations. Better to have a reservation and not need it, than need one and not have it. And we have made lots of reservations and had to cancel with a minimum fee - if any - if outside of 24 hrs so it's not a huge deal. Things happen. But during the holidays with all these new campers, no way I would risk not having a reservation especially if I was pretty solid on my route and timing.

Of course you need to have no regard for others that really needed that site.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Been my experience recently with all the new Covid campers that we need reservations. Better to have a reservation and not need it, than need one and not have it. And we have made lots of reservations and had to cancel with a minimum fee - if any - if outside of 24 hrs so it's not a huge deal. Things happen. But during the holidays with all these new campers, no way I would risk not having a reservation especially if I was pretty solid on my route and timing.

Troll.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, would highly recommended reservations as Covid campers will be out in hoards.

You may also find that many campgrounds have forgone the first come first serve policy for reservations only.
It's what we've experienced here in VA.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually tour around Florida State Parks every year before settling in at our 6 week location. We never had a problem getting a night pretty much wherever we wanted to stay, but not so this year. The only parks where there are more than 1 or 2 sites are on the interior, and while we enjoy most all Florida State Parks, we prefer to be near the coast and we found only one night at one park that fit our schedule.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found that reservations are almost a must, especially on weekends. And as far as school being back in, NOT. Most schools are on line now that means any RV with wifi is now a class room. During the off season we met many people with school age children and did inquire about just that. For the most part they all replied the same. Wifi is now the classroom, why stay at home.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Troll.

The last sentence does not make sense and is ambiguous????????

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, thanks for all the advice. The consensus is make reservations. We do have them for our destination but I will start making them for our over night stops. BTW We will leave Pa the 3rd Sunday in March. Take 5 days to make it to Texas.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Troll.

I agree with Lynnmor. I guess that makes me a troll too.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make the reservations. I just made mine for the trip down to disney. Yes, i am going on halloween , but the monday after is almost all booked up for 2021. I had to call a few places to get it set. I dont want to drive 8 hours to not have a place to stay the night and shower. Plan it out and ajust your driving scedual as needed.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.