RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Considering an LLC, looking for experiences

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Considering an LLC, looking for experiences

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi we just purchased a used 40'Fleetwood Revolution from NC where it is now in storage. We live in MI and plan on bringing it home in late April, then we will be hitting the road full time in June. The big question is where to title and register it. Besides the taxes MI has a pretty high registration feel, over $1,000 since we will not be using it or living in MI we don't really want to register it there. We have been looking into obtaining a Montana LLC which almost sounds to good to be true, besides no sales tax and after paying the LLC company their fees of about $1,000.00 we can get a permanent MT plate for $275.00. The company we are thinking of using is Montana Corporate. I would love to hear from anyone that has done this and any pro or cons you know of. Thanks for your help

https://www.montanacorporate.com/formllcfaq.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_MCfxtrI6QIVTvDACh3O2ACMEAEYASACEgIsRPD_BwE

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

consider moving your domicile to South Dakota. EZ to establish residency, no state income tax, low fees.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you aren't going to be domiciled anywhere, then why go through the hassle of an LLC? Just pick a state of residency that meets your needs and do what you need to do to be domiciled there. The Montana LLC's are set up to avoid/evade taxes in a state they actually live in (unless it happens to be MT) and are a little sketchy in my opinion. Several people argue their point and leveraging the law to your advantage. But, if the authorities ever investigate it I would hope you have your legal ducks in a row. But again, why bother? Pick a state that meets your needs and "live" there.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i should have added that eventually we will buying a home in TN, we do not know how long we will full time in the RV. So i don't think we want to set up a residency somewhere else. I am also trying to find out if we decide at a later date like say 18 months from now if we want a TN plate do we have to pay tax again or some type of large fee. Someone told me that GA charges a pretty hefty sales tax if you move there with an RV. I have been searching all the sites i can find on TN but i can't get an answer

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little confused and perhaps you can offer some clarity. You purchased your RV in NC and have it stored there, but you live in MI. You have not titled it in MI, so where is it titled? You are going to full time, but you may not actually leave MI as a residence? Will you keep a home there, pay taxes, utilities and get mail? Then you mention maybe TN and somehow GA got thrown in the mix.

It is true that most states require some payment in taxes when you move from one state to another with personal property like a vehicle or RV.

Are you trying to figure out where to live after your full time adventures? Will you still have the RV then if you stop full timing and set up a new residence? Will you not have a physical residence anywhere while you full time? If you will leave MI, sell your house and eventually move to TN then you might want to call TN and ask the DMV what taxes you will need to pay to move there. In the interim, if you truly won't have a physical residence anywhere, pick one like SD and choose that.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MT now adds $800 anually for RVs 10 years or less in age.

TX is another popular state for residency, taxes, mail, insurance, medical, income, etc. Taxes include local, payroll, state (could be more that the resident state), federal, etc.

I would look at all the variable and decide where to establish residency which you will have in some state.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on South Dakota, dont even have to come back but once every 5 years for DL renewals, no vehicle inspections or personal property taxes.
If you haven't researched them yet the mail forwarding service Dakota Post has a lot of information on their website.
We changed everything out back in August, and are about to register the new (sorta) Winnie there using their services.
It helps having a representative in the state.

* This post was edited 11/17/20 04:15pm by wanderingaimlessly *

Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way2roll, we just bought it from a seller in NC we have the assigned title from him and as i mentioned we are trying to decide where to title it. We have sold our home in MI and are in a rental just waiting till the weather gets nice and then we will leave MI in the review mirror. We will not have anything in MI other than some furniture in storage. Eventually we know that we will be moving to TN and since we have family there until we buy or rent a place there we will use their address.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend here in NC that has his RV registered in TN. He bought it new but not sure where. He owns a lot near Pigeon Forge and uses that as his address and primary residence......used to have a condo at Bristol race track. For tax purposes period. My vehicles are all but one registered in MD, no yearly property tax, inspection, or emissions on diesels.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“We have been looking into obtaining a Montana LLC which almost sounds to good to be true...”

Tooooo good to be true. P.T. Barnum said a long time ago....

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Considering an LLC, looking for experiences
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.