RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: What's a good battery level monitor?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's a good battery level monitor?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capacity is a matter chemistry and chemical reaction increases with temperature,
And I do my best to not go below 70% SOC,
This morning I was at 83% capacity,
Colder weather will mean more heater runtime and lower SOC in the mornings,
But like I said batteries are in the heated basement,
My capacity does Not shift very much because of temperature,
Any drift/shift is the Perkurk? Effect (chemical reaction ) from evening and morning MW use,
Which BTW is also/more so, on your use
So if I use 80 AmpHrs over night, its really more, when I do the charging,
When the monitor says full but the charge rate is 3amps, no problem I'm in the high 90s SOC,
I can stop if I want or keep going
If the charge rate is high , 10 amps or more then I know I should keep charging until the batteries are full, goes to float or at least tapers to the right value,
Monitor saying full capacity, means the measured discharge has been returned, Does Not mean batteries at saturation level
You and I are trying to achieve the same thing
But your doing math with too many variables
While I watch for my recharge rate to reach the correct threshold

BTW this monitor has more setting that I do Not know the use of, and have left the values at default, there is probably one for recharge compensation, but the instructions weren't much help with that

* This post was edited 11/19/20 04:12pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jornvango wrote:

What's a good monitor that I can install in my Casita to see the battery level throughout the day?

Victron BMV-712 like I installed

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP was asking about a “Good Monitor”....

Per FWC:

“It is not just theory. For many of us who don't plug in, you can get several partial charge cycles in a row (several days of non optimal solar for example) and as a result your SOC can be significantly off. Without plug ins, we also generally don't sit at float for hours upon hours to get your monitor back to 100%.

Yes you can make it work without these conveniences, but you have to remember when the last time you were on float for multiple hours, or try and check the battery voltage when you know things are at rest.

My point was that the good battery monitors deal with this, and you can be fairly sure when you glance at the display that the number is pretty close to reality. Cheaper monitors are a compromise.

I use lithium batteries, so the voltage doesn't tell me much about the SOC. However I have a good battery monitor that is correctly programmed for my batteries, and I can trust it. “

I can resoundingly second FWC’s off the grid experience, and the Victron 712 is also LiFePo4 compatible...It’s a matter of getting what you pay for...

3 tons

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Without plug ins, we also generally don't sit at float for hours upon hours to get your monitor back to 100%."

Don't need to be on float for hours & hours
Batteries don't really need floating in an RV that's in use, floating is too keep an emergency battery service from self discharge
Once batteries reach float, they are full
It's not the monitor that needs to come to 100%
In many instances, The monitor will reach 100% before the batteries are full, watching the charge rate is what is necessary with lead acid batteries,
Since lithium batteries have very little compensation needs, just count AmpHrs in and out, I think the one I using would work quite well,
If l had the $$ for lifepo4 I would get whatever monitor I thought was best for the job, be it Victron or something else

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My basic voltmeter resets to 100% every time. Never fails.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the battery electrolyte achieves maximum density the batteries are fully charged. Analysis by dirivities is pure bull pucky. Analysis of sealed batteries is verified only by hyper-exaggeration of charge parameters. There is a difference between "apparent full charged" and "verified full charged" The verified mode is needed to accurately zero amp hour transactions. Unless of course battery capacity and life are of no concern.

Verification (zeroing) is not appropriate for every cycle but should be performed every few weeks.

Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.”

Ha,ha, truly a solid candidate for quote of the year Sir!!

3 tons

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

“ Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.”

Ha,ha, truly a solid candidate for quote of the year Sir!!

3 tons

I like that quote also. lol

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable) , 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts) 2s4p. Panels mounted flat on the roof. Magnum PT100 controller, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a $30 dollar Bluetooth unit from eBay. BM2 is the model. It has no display and must be viewed on a phone. The best part is I can check my battery voltage without getting out of bed. It stores up to 30 days of data that gets downloaded to the phone when within range. provides really nice graphs as well.

">9cAAOSwVA5aMUMw]BM 2

I cant get the clicky to look right.

2002 HO 6spd LB QC 4x4. Edge Juice w/Att 4" str8 pipe AFE int Skyjacker D25 springs w/10" Fox Shox 2.0 Thuren track bar PSC Steering box w/DSS. Fox Steering Damper w/custom mount.

2003 Rampage 33TB
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Maybe something like this
ALL INFO IN ONE place on one screen

i have had this one for a couple of years. bought off ebay, works great

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's a good battery level monitor?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.